What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Apple TV vs PS3 Media Server

vulcan500rider

Hi All!

My in-laws bought my wife and I an Apple TV (3rd Gen) for Xmas. I've already got most of my media needs met through my PS3 via PS3 Media Server, and I serve up content to our iPad and my phone via AirPlayIt.

The only thing I don't really like about the setup is that it's terrible for watching online shows on websites (like History TV's website, for example). Most sites use Java still, and the PS3 just doesn't get the job done. Other than this small setback, I'm pretty happy with what I've got--though I wouldn't say no to a nicer UI, like the one used with XBMC.

I understand that there isn't a jailbreak available for the Gen 3 Apple TVs, and there may never be. Is there any advantage to using it, or should I just sell it used and stick with what we've got now? I've also stumbled on something called "Plexconnect," which can be run on Apple TV 3 as a media server, but it looks like a bit of a PITA to get running, and I'm not sure if it's worth it, either. Anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks in advance!

Sean

enaberif

Why would you say that? It's not optimal, certainly, but it allows for most media formats--which was my primary concern. I'm certainly not against improvement of my status quo, though.
I used to use my PS3 for streaming media but the software was clunky and having to have a secondary pc to decode everything seemed redundant. If I was going to use a computer to do the decoding for the PS3 why not just have a dedicated system to do it properly?

I then setup a small HTPC and it was miles ahead and far easier to use.

vulcan500rider

Ah. I follow now. I'm guessing an HTPC is probably the best option, though not necessarily the easiest to get set up. I've been considering the possibility of a dedicated XMBC HTPC, but the PS3 already sits right under the T.V. for gaming purposes, so it's the easiest for now.

I'm not hearing an overwhelming defense of the Apple TV's capabilities from anybody, though. Maybe I'll take it for a quick spin just to get a look at the UI, and then list it. The box is already open now, so what the hell.

clshades

so many options these days for streaming. I'd suggest an mitx with an amd APU perhaps. It's really too bad boxee box doesn't have the windows version of it's OS anymore I loved the interface.

I gotta agree with Enab on this one though. I've played around with the ps3 / remote computer server to host the files etc and it just seemed far to flakey to be viable long term. In the end you gotta ask yourself... is it wife proof?

enaberif

Ah. I follow now. I'm guessing an HTPC is probably the best option, though not necessarily the easiest to get set up. I've been considering the possibility of a dedicated XMBC HTPC, but the PS3 already sits right under the T.V. for gaming purposes, so it's the easiest for now.

I'm not hearing an overwhelming defense of the Apple TV's capabilities from anybody, though. Maybe I'll take it for a quick spin just to get a look at the UI, and then list it. The box is already open now, so what the hell.
Modern HTPCs are SUPER simple to setup. Its as simple as building a computer, installing a OS then using something like XBMC.

The hardest part is tweaking XBMC to your liking :rofl:

vulcan500rider

so many options these days for streaming. I'd suggest an mitx with an amd APU perhaps. It's really too bad boxee box doesn't have the windows version of it's OS anymore I loved the interface.

I gotta agree with Enab on this one though. I've played around with the ps3 / remote computer server to host the files etc and it just seemed far to flakey to be viable long term. In the end you gotta ask yourself... is it wife proof?
lol. I'm lucky. My wife is savvy enough not to break things too often, and smart enough to call me when things START to go sideways, as opposed to after she's tried to deal with an issue she knows nothing about.

I personally haven't found the PS3 streaming with PS3MediaServer flakey, per say, but there are definitely some annoyances: crappy UI, occasional MKV problems, CINAVIA (lotta hate on this one), and very occasional server issues requiring a program restart.

I had a little bit of *gasp* spare time last night, so I pulled out an older system I had lurking in the background. It's based around an ASUS M3A78-EM, with an (IIRC--haven't booted yet)) Athlon X2 4200+, and an 8800GT. I could only scrounge up 1 GB of RAM, but I'll keep digging through my parts to see if I have any more DDR2 still kicking around. It's in a beast of a case, but if I like the system, I can always get something a little more media-center friendly. The alternative is shoe-horning a low-profile graphics card into the NESputer I have laying around, but that would require some case mods that I don't really want to do. We'll see.

Anyway, I downloaded XBMCBuntu and I'm going to give that a whirl. If I don't like it, I may go for a standard Ubuntu OS with XBMC over top, but I'd just as soon have a machine that goes straight to XBMC, if possible. We'll see how much the setup pisses me off--it's already started in fine form with a HD that doesn't want to re-partition to allow for the install. I'm actually going to try running it straight off of a flash drive, for now, and see how that works out. All the media will remain on my main system, for now, so there's no real need for a large HD.

Thanks for the input so far, and I'll keep you guys posted!

clshades

Christ mine still hasn't figured out the shaw remote which can run ALL the components... she still txts or calls when she cant find the receiver remote ffs... to turn up the volume.

palm > face.

enaberif

Christ mine still hasn't figured out the shaw remote which can run ALL the components... she still txts or calls when she cant find the receiver remote ffs... to turn up the volume.

palm > face.
Thats cause you enable her. Tell her to figure it out. If she breaks something fix it. My woman knows better to ask me how to figure out something unless she's tried and broke something.

Latest posts

Twitter