What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Apple TV3 plus MKV files?

grinder

I just saw the price on this thing, $110 CDN. If it will play-back MKV files I might have a replacement for my clunky old AMD HTPC! Has anyone tried this thing out?

grinder

thanks guys. The non Apple products seem like a better fit so far

L

Lyserberg

thanks guys. The non Apple products seem like a better fit so far

There's nothing better than an HTPC capable of playback 1080p 60frames per second videos,that's afterall everything you might need for a home theater experience,MKV is the kind of things that APPLE on their products or even Sony on their playstation Vita are aware of,due its nature (piracy is the biggest factor)
And yes anything capable of powering XBMC should be a great home theater media player,this software has one of the best hardware acceleration capabilities outthere,while supporting a wide wariety of different formats :thumb:

p3t3rsn

Can this be done on the new ones? If so then this definitely would be the way to go. You can't beat XBMC in terms of of a front end.

Apparently the Apple TV 3 is the most secure product yet and hard to crack. As of today, a jailbreak is not yet available but being "worked on".

grinder

i have a full blown PC now that i want to retire... hense the question. I want to move to an "appliance" based solution on my next upgrade cycle for multiple reasons... some of which include:

- smaller device (I'd like to downsize my AV rack)
- lower power consumption
- fanless / noiseless
- low cost
- no maintenance

I make a living in IT and have no interest in tweaking/maintaining my entertainment products... i target to discontinue my HTPC completely sometime in the future and hand it down to the kids. on the surface the Apple TV looked like a very attractive playback device, but with no easy way of supporting .mkv files, i will end up overlooking this device.

lowfat

Staff member
Apparently the Apple TV 3 is the most secure product yet and hard to crack. As of today, a jailbreak is not yet available but being "worked on".

It took 3-4 months for the iPad 2 IIRC. I expect ATV3 owners will be waiting a while as well. But once you can JB it will be pretty awesome.

Latest posts