What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Arctic Silver 5 cooling problems?

Kat18810

Apparently you can install a heatsink in such a way that while it looks like it's installed correctly, it's not. This was my problem. After taking everything apart and putting it together again for the fifth time, I've learned this lesson the hard way. I should probably ask that this thread be closed now... -.- *facepalms so hard he looks like a caveman afterwards*

sweenytodd

Good thing you figured it out before throwing more money into it. Final advice is to get an aftermarket cooling when you will start overclocking.

Johnrb

I've never had any issues with AS5. The Zalman CNPS9500 cooler on my old amd x2 broke after 5-6 years (the fan dismounted off of the motor) and the temperatures weren't even ridiculous with the cooler running passively with the 5-6 year old AS5 paste. I'm running mx4 now, but only because I wanted to try something different.

I've never used the stock intel cooler, but it definitely sounds like you're having a seating issue. When I installed an AIO watercooler on my video card I first tried to use a ziptie mount and couldn't get good enough pressure to keep the gpu optimally cool. Now with a bracket giving me better seating pressure the gpu runs another 10+ degrees cooler.

edit: My bad didnt see this was solved, glad to see you figured it out and it was a seating issue.

On a sidenote... the cooler master 212 I have on my second system does a great job at cooling the 6 core processor underneath.

Last edited:

clshades

You guys are aware the number 5 refers to the amount of Tim in the tube right? Specifically 5 uses. It is not the fifth version or anything.

Geiser45

This is the compound i use!

I have had no issue with overheating , my superflow is continuously maintaining the same temperatures.
I had heard that AS took a certain amount of time to settle in its spread.
The coolermaster paste i use had no break in time at all , just a tube volume sized pea centralised followed by a calm sinking of the fan and heatsink eventualised in a year so far of accountable stride.

Ernimus Prime

I never had any problems with AS5. Always worked great for me. I use the pea method when using it. My i5 2500K is nice and cool. And I am using an after market cooler.

Latest posts