What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Arctis Pro Wireless vs. HyperX Cloud Orbit/Audeze Mobius?

Skippman

With the whole COVID thing going on my employer has shifted me to a work from home model. From everything they're telling me this change could be permanent. Which I'm completely OK with as I'm the only person in my city on my team. In my office environment I was using a wired Plantronics headset for telephony, and a set of Logitech H800 Bluetooth/Wireless headphones that I could change between my work PC's dongle and my iPads Bluetooth with just a switch on the headset. Since I've been working from home I've been using my set of HyperX Cloud Revolvers that I use for gaming plugged into my corporate cellphone as a replacement for my Plantronics desk phone. While this has been working my co-workers lately have been complaining of static and the occasional "booming" sound from my headset. It's highly likely I have an electrical short in here somewhere which means it's probably time to look for a new alternative.

If I'm going to buy a new set of headphones, I'm going to BUY a new set of headphones. I want something that will last me a while as we're in the middle of adopting an infant and I want to be able to play my games while the baby is sleeping. I would prefer something wireless if possible. Ideally something that can switch back and forth between computer audio and my cellphone without having to constantly unplug and plug things in. Basically I want a combination of my Plantronics headset, my H800 Wireless headphones, and my HyperX gaming cans.

Right now I'm torn between two different devices, the Arctis Pro Wireless and the Audeze Mobius aka the HyperX Cloud Orbit.

As an audiophile I'm very intrigued by the use of the ribbon drivers as those have always been amazing sounding in any implementation I've heard from home theater speakers to car audio environments. But the Arctis Pro's ability to connect to both your PC and cellphone simultaneously is equally intriguing.

TL : DR
Arctis Pro Wireless vs HyperX Cloud Orbit, which would you choose and why? Any personal experience with either?

JD

Staff member
Has Kingston done anything else to the Audeze Mobius? Granted I haven't paired them to my phone, but quality of BT from PC (with mic enabled) is really bad. I can only use BT in audio-only mode, which sounds "acceptable", though USB is definitely preferred. You can read through it here too: https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...-formats-supported-and-how-to-connect-to-them

As such, I use my Mobius plugged in with USB to my work laptop over Teams pretty often when I need to join calls. Nobody has complained, so I guess it's good?

I've done WFH for a few years now though, so if I'm not at my laptop, then I'm not "working". Haven't found a need to have a wireless headset under this premise as it's best to setup some boundaries between work and personal time :)

Skippman

I've done WFH for a few years now though, so if I'm not at my laptop, then I'm not "working". Haven't found a need to have a wireless headset under this premise as it's best to setup some boundaries between work and personal time :)
And that's a given. My issue is always when I need to get another cup of coffee and I'm on an outage bridge (I'm a network engineer at AT&T) or I turn around suddenly forgetting I'm plugged into something and whip my cellphone off my desk like a dang morning star. Than you Otterbox.

I was under the impression that the Mobius supported LDAC which was considered "lossless." That being said, I have no first hand experience with the protocol so I can't say for certain how true that statement is. I've largely avoided Bluetooth for musicality or gaming until now. That was one of the reasons I was leaning towards the Arctis. They provide their own 2.4Ghz wireless bridge so there's no worrying about what protocol you're using.

JD

Staff member
Yeah incident calls suck, thankfully I don't get a ton of them and usually it's not my problem... it's the damn network/firewall 🤣

I'd probably lean towards the Arctis on that premise alone since wireless seems to be a priority in your case. The fabric ear pads on the Arctis are likely better for long sessions too as my Audeze tends to get warm after an hour or so.

But don't get me wrong, the Audeze is the best audio device I have experienced for music fidelity (granted I'm no audiophile). Crystal clear, everything sounds accurately reproduced, perhaps just lacking a bit of punch but ultimately you need a subwoofer for that. For the price I got them back during it's Indiegogo days, it was a pretty good value too.

Skippman

I'd love to hear a set in person. Ribbon drivers are amazing in my experience. I've had the pleasure of hearing a ton of interesting audio drivers from LATs to Electro Stat, to ribbons and ribbons have always sounded excellent. I was looking at the HiFiMan HE4XX as well as the Drop Panda's. But all things being equal it's what you use them for that really matters.

Mr. Friendly

Audeze is releasing two new headsets, one for Xbox X and another for the PS5. both will work on Windows, only on works on Mac. nothing different between the headphones, just the wireless dongle they come with as aparently they communicate differently. they are also supposed to be a bit less in price as well.

Skippman

I may end up having to go with the Audeze as I can't seem to find a vendor in the States that has the Arctis in stock.

Praktik

My arctis 3 Bluetooth has been decent for work, definitely ensure whatever you go with has excellent mic quality - it's a killer if you get the wrong headset for work with a weak mic!

Skippman

Audeze is releasing two new headsets, one for Xbox X and another for the PS5. both will work on Windows, only on works on Mac. nothing different between the headphones, just the wireless dongle they come with as aparently they communicate differently. they are also supposed to be a bit less in price as well.
I just took a look at these. Looks like basically the Mobius without the fancy 3D position sensor which is nothing but a gimmick to me unless you're doing VR. It also looks like they added the multisource capability with Bluetooth and 2.4G wireless simultaneously. I'd love to see Dimitri do a review of them before I order them, but that $50 USD price difference on the pre-order makes it real damn tempting to just pull the trigger.

Latest posts

Twitter