What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Are Hydro Copper and other OEM water cooled cards worth the cost?

Jokester

sometimes you can save a buck buying the pre-blocked cards which is good. I have done it a few times. done it both ways. the blocks from hydro copper or gigabytes wb perform just as well.

KaptCrunch

Dude every case normally comes with at least one fan blowing in or exhausting. Most of the heat is moved to the radiator, which is exactly the reason we water cool. There is some heat that comes odd the card that doesn't get picked up by the water cooling but not as much as you think.
odd = off ?

that will be the VR on card and there is no water flow directly over them as GPU has flow, so it goes to waterblock material
not to rad

2080 VR idles around 91c loaded 117c-121c (VRM package Operating temperature range: -40°C to +125°C )
(correction was F setting on temp gun, so 49.4c is temp of VR)

the back plate will take care of that is what your saying

thats why i say additonal air cooling is needed for card to live longer and 1 case fan isn't going to help it

Last edited:

clshades

Wtf are you talking about. Of course the ram is cooled by the water block. I've water cooled for 10 plus years.

Izerous

Folding Team
Wtf are you talking about. Of course the ram is cooled by the water block. I've water cooled for 10 plus years.
Any quality full coverage block anyways. I recall my very first water cooled card was more of a CPU block with some stick on heatsinks. Every card after that one was full coverage though starting with 8800GTS cards. Don't recall what it was that I put the universal block on but it was older than an 8800GTS.

clshades

Any quality full coverage block anyways. I recall my very first water cooled card was more of a CPU block with some stick on heatsinks. Every card after that one was full coverage though starting with 8800GTS cards. Don't recall what it was that I put the universal block on but it was older than an 8800GTS.
I'm not sure they even make those anymore and haven't for a while, that I'm aware of. There's some factory combo AIO stuff, but I wouldn't touch it.

FreeKnight

I think Kapt is trying to say that since the finned heat exchanger is over the GPU and not the vram it doesn't get cooling like the chip. I don't think it's a valid concern though, there's still ample cooling due to the block still transferring heat away from the vram (metal is a very good conductor of heat after all), coupled with the added thermal mass of the water.

Or he's just going full KaptCrunch, can never be sure.

KaptCrunch

correct they a part of water block but no water flows to them

I'm talking VR here, they are out of the loop
as FK say use metal to cool VR
an need air flow over it to get max cooling

Last edited:

KaptCrunch

whats the point of watercooling video cards if only actively doing GPU and forget about VR thats is the heart of video

Shippman take notes on VR cooling and spit out a block and prove that active cooling on VR makes a difference

lowfat

Staff member
Ek still sells a universal gpu block. Actually perform better than full cover blocks as there is less of a pressure drop. Vrms and vram really don't need much for cooling. Airflow is generally good enough.

Skippman

Here is my current loop:
EK CoolStream SE 360 Rad > EK Velocity D-RGB block > Monsoon Dual Bay Res with D5 pump > back to Rad.

This is all sitting in a Corsair 700D with 6 Corsair 140 ML series fans. So I have tons of airflow in the case. But I take your meaning about cooling the VRAM. Pretty much every block I've seen comes with a backplate. Even most factory coolers seem to rely on a backplate to act as a heat sink.

Custom PCB and Waterblock
Pros:
All in one solution.
Waterblock preinstalled and guaranteed to fit.
Potential higher performance than reference design.

Cons:
COST
Higher performance numbers might be negligible (1-5% over Reference)
Custom PCB means replacing waterblock may be problematic.

Reference Design and Aftermarket Block
Pros:
Can use air cooling until waterblocks are available for the card.
If waterblock fails can always reinstall air cooler.
Reference design means more options for water blocks.

Cons:
Potentially more expensive depending on waterblock.
Potentially inferior performance to custom high end SKUs.

My take away from this discussion is that it's better to buy a reference board (i.e. a Founders Edition) than a custom PCB w/ built prebuilt waterblock. When looking at performance numbers barring some major outliers theres generally only been a 1-5% improvement on the custom designs, which is almost always attributable to binning over cooling performance. I think I'd rather have the flexability of choosing which waterblock I want to use over the "ease" of a prebuilt card like the Hydro Copper.

Thanks for your input guys. This has been really helpful. No point swimming against the stream unnecessarially.