What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Are Hydro Copper and other OEM water cooled cards worth the cost?

JD

Staff member
Also if you stick to EK fullcover blocks, the barbs are in the same location (assuming reference cards used). This makes upgrading GPUs a lot easier as you don't have to re-do tubing. For that matter, if you don't mind the bulky QDC fittings, you could even make it easy to pull the GPU entirely.

clshades

When I went with an EK block the last time. I researched the block and then bought the respective card to match. EK has a pretty good matching system on their site the last time I was there.

Like JD said, the quick disconnects are pure gold for cleaning loops out down the road. My final build had 4 of them to isolate the video and rad and resivior.

KaptCrunch

Like JD said, the quick disconnects are pure gold for cleaning loops out down the road. My final build had 4 of them to isolate the video and rad and resivior.
EK using CPC QDC

second that

only on disconnect use a paper towel to catch a few drips,

stops flowing when separated not shown in video

canada

Last edited:

Izerous

Folding Team
I used to use QDCs between every single component, I stopped doing that a long time ago but I still use 3 pairs. 2 pairs go to and from the external enslosure so I can separate the two without loosing fluid and transport them separately.

3rd pair I leave with short sections of tubbing and sit with the spare parts and use them to connect to the other 2 pairs to drain/fill as needed.

sf101

Id say for resale its a issue.
your forced to sell it too someone with watercooling.
although this only really maters if your the type that uses a GPU for 1-2 years and sells it.

clshades

If you are set on buying the 3080 at launch, chances are they will all be reference design. You might as well grab the "founders edition" from NVIDIA or whatever OEM you like. Never any issue finding a block for a reference card.

I'd say the main downfall of buying a pre-blocked card is you really limit your resale ability. Most people don't have custom loops, and those who do, want the latest hardware.
I can confirm this is an issue.

rjbarker

Agreed...pretty tough to sell a Hydro Copper Evga GPU......way easier to remove the EK Block, re-install the Stock Air Cooler and sell.....its what I do and generally whoever purchases my Card I'll throw in the FC EKWB for free (as its useless to me once the Card is gone).......
For me Full Cover EK Blocks all the way.....never been dissapointed.....they will have Reference on release...then you'll see Blcoks for FTW3 and likely for Kingpin....EK is pretty reliable for ensuring Blocks available for most all high end GPU's........for cost count on $200 CDN to your door shipped from Slovakia ......or purchase from DAZ for about the same.....