What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

are my 560TI at the end of their life

hobo_crew

Hello,
this forum has been very helpful in the past so lets see if it will work again.

I have had my rig for 4-5 years now and couldn't be more happy with it.
here is my problem. i was doing my end of year cleaning of my rig. when i notice that a fan on each of my MSI N560TI twin FrozrII gold edition GPUs has stopped working.

based on how hard it is to spin the two that have stopped and how easy it to spin the fans that still work. I assume the bearings have gone.

I have been looking for replacement fan but haven't had much luck other than ebay which i am hesitant to use.

anybody have any idea whether this can be fixed or if not can i salvage these very nice coolers off the cards and do something with them.

i haven't actually had any problems with the cards so far other than a slight rattle as one fan try to spin and stops after a bit.

regards,

TTC

I would just get new cards to be honest. I had a hell of a time just finding drivers for my buddys pc build with a 560ti.

ZZLEE

Zip Ties and a few 120 mm fans can lengthen the life off the cards A . y splitter to fan header on the Motherboard if you have one open or to a molex to 3 / 4pin will work also fore rigging up some cooling.

Keep weather eye to KIJJI or other local sales venues for cheep broken cards or lesser inexpensive cards with same fans that you need.

Where do you live. we may have some inexpensive cards In "Buy / Sell " part of forums.

edit: That Raven has nice air flow already. Dounlaod "arterburner" or GPU-Z to see what your temps under load are.

Edit 2: grab a can off canned air. hold the fan with a finger then blow out your fans and heat sinks. take cards out of case you will see lots of dust .

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Wow... I just had a quick look and am surprised that none of the larger etailers seem to have much in the way of third party VGA coolers. Did Arctic Cooling go out of business?

dtnat

For the GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 motherboard you are using it will be hard to sandwich a fan in between the SLI PCIe x16 slots to help cool it. The other working fan may die out sooner or later. ARCTIC Accelero Mono PLUS | quiet VGA Cooler for AMD / NVIDIA | silent Cooler | wide compatibility | high heat dissipation | best performance on overclocking | low noise | gaming PC should work but it looks like it is too big (takes up 3 slots for one). Move around the cards? GTX 460 / 560 / 560 Ti aftermarket (air) cooler (non-reference) list

Bond007

Honestly you can try whatever works, but the reality is I wouldn't invest much. If you had a single card I would say strap an aftermarket fan onto the heatsink and call it a day, but because you are sli it will be difficult to fit. Honestly if your temps are fine (confirm with MSI afterburner, or something else reputable) I would just run it as is until the cards die, or they aren't doing what you want anymore...then it's time to upgrade. A 560 isn't worth much anymore.

Ensure you have good case airflow around the cards, and if the non turning fans are dead I would try to unplug power to them (if possible).

dtnat

Buying the listed aftermarket coolers maybe pricy for both. Time for a upgrade. You could sell both of them now in said condition and the money saved instead of buying coolers + time fixing could get you a nice upgrade.

clshades

If you can afford it cut your losses and pick up a 970 those two cards you have owe you nothing at this point.

hobo_crew

Hi guys sorry i got distracted by the juniors game. i got a little worried there for a bit.

anyways i have been doing some benchmarks to what these cards can still handle.

yeah you think you guys are right. the writing is on the wall for these two cards.
they still did very well. I might just have to settle with not selecting ultimate graphics setting on some games until i get new card.

i switched my monitors to be connected to the outer of the two cards. That has balanced out my temps a bit better(i don't know why i didn't do that earlier).

i just did a couple benchmarks of tomb raider on ultimate settings in 3d at 1280x720 both cards max out around 75-80c which is fine. low frames though avg. 18-25 avg.
on ultra setting i get 50.

i guess i just have to start saving.
it just seems to me like a lot of pretty copper wasted if i throw these out.
maybe i can sell them to a scrap yard?

thanks

clshades

3 - 4 bux a pound these days? Probably spend more on gas finding a metal recycler to buy the scrap.

Latest posts

Twitter