What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Are SSD's with TRIM pretty much on autopilot?

x30Jx

Meaning, I don't have to do anything beyond what I would do to a normal hard drive?

(Besides not defragging?)

Chris

I run Debian linux on my OCZ Vertex 2 50 GB, and have the kernel that supports trim. I have tested it once and confirmed that trim is running.

Windows 7 has auto deflag on. Maybe you need to turn it off? I don't know since I do not use win7 on ssd.

lowfat

Staff member
As long as you are using the stock MS AHCI driver or the newest Intel or AMD driver then you shouldn't have to do anything else.

JimboToronto

I run Debian linux on my OCZ Vertex 2 50 GB, and have the kernel that supports trim.
I'm not much of a Linux person, but I'm curious. If the kernel supports TRIM, does it also automatically align your partitions to the SSD's NAND blocks like Win7 or do they have to be manually aligned as with WinXP?

Just wondering thanks.

Caldezar

OP, provided your SSD, OS and chipset support TRIM, then I believe you should be good. You can also run 'fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify' from a command line in Windows to see if Windows is currently set for TRIM. ('0' means TRIM is enabled, '1' means it's not)

lowfat

Staff member
OP, provided your SSD, OS and chipset support TRIM, then I believe you should be good. You can also run 'fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify' from a command line in Windows to see if Windows is currently set for TRIM. ('0' means TRIM is enabled, '1' means it's not)
Windows 7 is always set for TRIM unless you disabled it for some reason.

Chris

I'm not much of a Linux person, but I'm curious. If the kernel supports TRIM, does it also automatically align your partitions to the SSD's NAND blocks like Win7 or do they have to be manually aligned as with WinXP?

Just wondering thanks.
I am wondering too. Before I installed it, I did not know anything about SSD. So, I bought this to experiment. I started out using a linux partition manager to divide the ssd into 3 partitions. Then I changed my mind, and changed it back to one single partition and installed Debian/squeeze on it. Squeeze does not TRIM, but I just need to run hdparm once in a while to clear the garbage. Also, I do not use it for data, just for the programs and packages. After 3 months, I upgraded Squeeze to Wheezy which has TRIM support. It has been working fine, and I did not bother to run benchmarks. So, I do not know what this partition alignment thing is and what effect it has if not aligned. Maybe the partition manager took care of it. :biggrin:

BTW, the OCZ support forum has a sticky on alignment, but my heads start to spin when I started to read it, so I decided to leave it alone since it is working well.