What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Are these good drives?

Entz

980 Pro is a very good drive, along with the SN850.

If this is for the same client, I would try and get a feel for what the plan is. Endurance can matter , which given the lust for cores and USB leads to some assumptions....

Haven't used the EXOS, but that particular model tended to have higher than average failure rates on Backblaze (mainly due to a bad 2020) but they also have a crap load of them.

FreeKnight

One thing to be wary of is that Samsung's RMA process in Canada is notoriously awful. I've avoided them because the stories are so awful.

Maybe it's gotten better since, but I haven't heard anything on it.

Soultribunal

Staff member
One thing to be wary of is that Samsung's RMA process in Canada is notoriously awful. I've avoided them because the stories are so awful.

Maybe it's gotten better since, but I haven't heard anything on it.

As far as I know, its still horrible.
If your Samsung Drive dies, just buy a new one. Its not wroth the trouble.

I've opted for WD 9 times outta 10 because of that.

-ST

Entz

Doesn't hurt that the SN850 is cheaper anyways. That drive is ridiculous in a modern system, near instant boot.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Doesn't hurt that the SN850 is cheaper anyways. That drive is ridiculous in a modern system, near instant boot.
Super overkill. Just hoping I can fully utilize mine once direct access goes mainstream.

clshades

Guy lives in the states so I'm no to worried about warranty. He also just cashed out on a 3.7 mil chalet so money isn't an issue. He wants bleeding edge 100% of the time. That said he won't pay 4k for a cpu as it's beyond what he needs.

clshades

980 Pro is a very good drive, along with the SN850.

If this is for the same client, I would try and get a feel for what the plan is. Endurance can matter , which given the lust for cores and USB leads to some assumptions....

Haven't used the EXOS, but that particular model tended to have higher than average failure rates on Backblaze (mainly due to a bad 2020) but they also have a crap load of them.
What would you recommend for large capacity spin point?

Entz

Does he need enterprise grade? The x16 Segates (ST12000NM001G) or Hitachi/HGST helium filled (I.e HUH721212ALE600) would be the most reliable and perform well.

WD blacks would normally be my suggestion but they top out at 10TB. Baracuda Pro (newer model) st12000dm001
would be good as well IMO.

If this is just for raw storage and not something you need high speed, the 12TB 7200RPM CMR NAS drives would be fine and save money. High capacity drive prices are a bit nuts at the moment.

edit: fixed the Hitachi number. 512e for max compat.

Last edited:

crazyea

I have 2 980pro 1TB in my pc. Honestly, I think we are at a point in time where the increase in speed is not very noticeable over the gen3 970pro. I mean unless you are benchmarking or transferring larg files every day.

Latest posts

Twitter