What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

argh, anyone know why my DS3L wont save any BIOS settings?

enaberif

its F11 to save, but I getcha. I really wish there was a better way other than hauling the PC out and shorting pins, and pulling batteries, seems so 1995...
Abit has perfected this... I cause a bad bios and it won't post.. I give my computer a reach around :whistle: , flip a small switch and bios is cleared.

I go into bios and set it back to the "Basic" setting I have saved and restart.

donimo

yeah, GB aint great, cause resetting the pins also causes all of my saved profiles to be lost...

I gots me some toggles

lowfat

Staff member
I have never had to reset the CMOS on either of the last two gigiabyte boards I had (P35-DQ6, and current P35-DS3L). If they don't post from an overclock, they have always reset themselves on their own. Can't say the same about the two P5B-Deluxes I had. I had to reset the CMOS everytime it would fail.

sswilson

Staff member
yeah, GB aint great, cause resetting the pins also causes all of my saved profiles to be lost...

I gots me some toggles
Definately something going on there. You shouldn't lose your profiles when doing a cmos reset.

Have you tried contacting gigabyte about this? Sounds to me like there's a disconnect of some form between the bios and the system clock.... on that note... did you try a new (or different) motherboard battery?

donimo

see, thats not my issue, if it wont post, it resets back to last good config on its own, every time, YAY.

What it did was, No matter what I set it at it wou POST just fine, but with 333x8, go back in bios, set it at 400x8, posts at 333x8, go into bios and it still says 400x8 (where if its a "bad OC post" it resets itself in bios as well), but boot it up, 333

see what I mean? confusing I know...

donimo

Definately something going on there. You shouldn't lose your profiles when doing a cmos reset.

Have you tried contacting gigabyte about this? Sounds to me like there's a disconnect of some form between the bios and the system clock.... on that note... did you try a new (or different) motherboard battery?
no, but the battery tests out fine (thught of that)

On both my ds3l boards I lose saved pofiles on a pin short reset, or a bios update for that matter...

ones a rev1 ones a rev2

sswilson

Staff member
no, but the battery tests out fine (thught of that)

On both my ds3l boards I lose saved pofiles on a pin short reset, or a bios update for that matter...

ones a rev1 ones a rev2
Did you physically try another battery or did you just check the voltage on it?

Just because you can read the correct voltage with a multimeter, doesn't mean that has enough amperage stored to do the job.

I'm not questioning your faultfinding techniques, just trying to suggest things that you might not have tried.

Other possibility... did you try this outside of the case? Is there a possiblity that something is shorted to the case and it's not allowing the cmos battery to do it's job?

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
see, thats not my issue, if it wont post, it resets back to last good config on its own, every time, YAY.

What it did was, No matter what I set it at it wou POST just fine, but with 333x8, go back in bios, set it at 400x8, posts at 333x8, go into bios and it still says 400x8 (where if its a "bad OC post" it resets itself in bios as well), but boot it up, 333

Whoa. That's a whole different story. Whatever you set speed-wise it always boots at 333FSB?

Didn't you play with the NB strap? Wouldn't that have an effect on the other settings?

donimo

no, the strap is irrelevant here as its only on the 4.0 mem multi and I have it at 2.0

Checked the batt with a multi and a resistor load, no spares but this test is pretty good...

inside the case, I aint pulling it all apart to check, but my issue isnt that it doesnt save settings, but that they don't have any effect on what it POSTs at...

Its solved so whatever, but it's a might disconserting like, yknow?

Mr. Cipher

That happened to me - I tried OC'ing like mad (I was gunning for 3.7 or 3.8ghz, I forget) and rendered the system unstable.

The reason why it'll "save" in the bios but run on different settings is that there is apparently a safe 'shadow' bios that is triggered due to the unsafe setting and it runs off that instead of what you specifically set.

I reset the bios by shorting the jumpers with a screwdriver and didn't have an issue. Although you already said you did this and it didn't work until you swore for 5 minutes :thumb:

I don't know what to say!

Latest posts

Twitter