What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Artifacting in WMP11 when Playing DVD

Generic User #2

So I setup a new system for my aunt to play back DVDs. The system uses parts scavenged from 2 disgraceful HP and Dell pre-builts.

I installed the windows updates fine, but I let the windows updater pick the drivers. Everything works fine and dandy, but there's a problem when I actually try to play the DVD.

I tried to use VLC originally, but it just refused to play the disk. Then I tried WMP; the playback is almost entirely artifacted. There's nothing really much to say.

What could cause this sort of problem? I'll provide more details once I get some hints on what to provide details about.

Core 2 Duo system using very ancient intel graphics.

enaberif

So I setup a new system for my aunt to play back DVDs. The system uses parts scavenged from 2 disgraceful HP and Dell pre-builts.

I installed the windows updates fine, but I let the windows updater pick the drivers. Everything works fine and dandy, but there's a problem when I actually try to play the DVD.

I tried to use VLC originally, but it just refused to play the disk. Then I tried WMP; the playback is almost entirely artifacted. There's nothing really much to say.

What could cause this sort of problem? I'll provide more details once I get some hints on what to provide details about.

Core 2 Duo system using very ancient intel graphics.
Ancient Intel Graphics with a Core 2 Duo? System is more than likely just not able to play.

JD

Staff member
I would try something like PowerDVD or similar. I don't see why a Core 2 Duo wouldn't be able to decode a DVD.

Generic User #2

any reason why VLC wouldn't even start the DVD? i tell it to play it, but it just ignores me and does nothing. It doesn't freeze, but it just sits there like I never gave it a command.

I've actually used the HP for DVD playback in the past (where the 1.9GHz C2D is from) and it ran normally. However, the DVD drive itself isn't the same. I had to play 1080p youtube and it struggled, but it played back 720p no sweat.

also, there's a warning message on post telling me the system fan has failed, could that be screwing something up?

Twitter