What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Asrock says they'll have affordable X670E motherboards

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan

they will have options below $300 USD. that's still $450 (HAH! $500+ after Canada tax) but a heck of a lot better than $900 everyone else was showing off.

Izerous

Folding Team
It is kinda scary how expensive some boards are getting and if we ever do have to live with ATX12VO that will only increase the MB prices even higher.

Izerous

Folding Team
is ATX12VO just another way to say ATX 3.0?
The 12v only standard. Where the PSU is only capable for generating 12v and the motherboard has to have sata power ports and the like with the 5v rails and the 12v -> 5v conversion circuitry all taking up real estate on the motherboard itself.

Thankfully it still seems to be an OEM only thing so far and not mainstream and I hope it stays that way for now.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
The 12v only standard. Where the PSU is only capable for generating 12v and the motherboard has to have sata power ports and the like with the 5v rails and the 12v -> 5v conversion circuitry all taking up real estate on the motherboard itself.

Thankfully it still seems to be an OEM only thing so far and not mainstream and I hope it stays that way for now.
okay...cause MSI announced they're the first to market with ATX 3.0 PSU.

Izerous

Folding Team
I think what adds to the confusion is I believe that the ATX standard for that is technically dead and it was actually called ATX12V when it changed from 20 to 24 pin or something like that. Even then the ATX 3.0 standard the full name might even technically be ATX12V 3.0?

The ATX12VO stuff still stands separate since it is 12v Only. Reading some of the thread you have even started on it the discussions were mostly about a way to achieve super low power consumption in sleep states compared to what we consider a standard ATX 2.0 PSU was capable of.

Izerous

Folding Team
There was an external PSU from years ago I wish I could find a picture. It was the size of like an early 2000s altec lansing sub woofer and it had a couple connectors leading to a breakout box that sat right where a normal ATX PSU would sit. Thanks to someone I work with I was able to find the name of the connectors it used from the PSU to the breakout box and I'm pretty sure they were BNC connectors.

Those BNC cables/connectors seem to have a really high wattage threshold and could have been a potential replacement for things like 6 pin 8 pin and now the new 12 pin connector with just a single connection that would never have to have changed. Peeking around at specifications the center pin of a BNC connector seem to be close to 5A for 1000W capacity but working that out means they are talking about like 220V + 5A. If we limit the cable and connector at 1000W ignoring the voltage/amperage for a moment since i'm not sure if those specs are 100% accurate that means there isn't a GPU that I'm aware of that couldn't have been powered potentially by a single one of these in the past 20+ years instead of constantly messing with the pin counts and number of connectors.

So i'm not against more drastic changes to a certain extent.

Latest posts