What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

ASROCK "Sky OC"/MSI/ASUS/Gigabyte/BIOSTAR Non-K Skylake Overclock available!

YongKang97

Hi, I would like to know if you have the non-k oc bios for the gigbyte z170-N gaming 5? Also, it's my first time on the forum. I would like to know which mobo is decent enough to handle non-k oc.

Thanks!

lowfat

Staff member
Hi, I would like to know if you have the non-k oc bios for the gigbyte z170-N gaming 5? Also, it's my first time on the forum. I would like to know which mobo is decent enough to handle non-k oc.

Thanks!

Doesn't look like one is available as far as I can tell.

Bond007

Thanks!

It was a pretty short lived dream to OC non-K chips before Intel locked it down. Only a few boards really did this well, and that is only on certain versions of the bios.

sswilson

Staff member
It's been quite a while since I spent any time there, but the only motherboard manufacturer I've seen with a strong established bios modding community is MSI... ( https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?board=45.0 ).

No guarantees, but if non sanctioned bios' were still out there to be found, that's where I'd expect to find them.

YongKang97

Any pointers for board that'll non-k oc well for around 150CAD? I hope of hitting 4,2-4,5ghz. :)

YongKang97

I'm looking at a i5-6400+ a air cooler like the bequiet PURE ROCK. (Or something else you can recommend?)

I would probably say around the range of 150 CAD+ 40CAD wifi card.
I'm not sure about crossfire or even sli since I'll be buying a 1080p, 1ms response time and 144Hz monitor. (The AOC G2460PQU or something you can recommend to me that won't break the budget. I will mostly play FPS and TPS like Overwatch, Robotcraft, Mighty No.9 and Titanfall 2.)
So, you can put ITX options.

For the gpu, I'm looking at a RX 480. (around 300CAD for the gpu.)

I have 1000CAD for computer+monitor.

Here's what I've been able to come up with so far: Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core, ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker

Any suggestion will help me a great deal! Thanks!

lowfat

Staff member
I use an i5-6400 and it overclocks all the way up to 4.8GHz. Although my Asus board has idle stability issues w/ the bclk higher than 171 so I have keep it @ 4.65GHz. I see no reason to go for a more expensive CPU.

I'd definitely stick w/ whatever MSI board from that list is in your price range.

Latest posts