What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Asus 6970 direct cu2 - crossfire troubles

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Hey all. Got a second asus 6970 direct cu2 and I'm having the seemingly inevitable crossfire issue:
Only one card ( whichever is the top/primary one) is getting load.

Current config - Stygian ( real pics coming):
Crosshair IV formula.
1090T @ 4Ghz
latest drivers - 11.8 with latest cap as well

one thing I've noticed :
6034e8c3e0249656.jpg

(assuming the pic works)
my two cards don't appear to be exactly the same. in the pic above the upper card ( which is the new one) seems to have a bigger heatsink but both cards are "revision 1.0". Strange.

What should I do? already tried swapping cards, reinstalling drivers , etc.

Thanks in advance all.

Arinoth

Staff member
Have you made sure to have crossfire enabled? I know when i upgraded to the 11.10 drivers it disabled crossfire. I had to uninstall and reinstall the drivers for crossfire to be re-enabled.

Also, is this happening on all games or say like BF3? Games in windowed mode (even maximized) will never load the second card properly due to a windows issue.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Were the drivers uninstalled before installing the second card?

CMetaphor

Quadfather
This occurs in both windowed and full screen gaming - any game and the unigine heaven benchmark.
crossfire seems to be enabled in the vision control center.
At first I just installed rhetorically second card and assumed it would work - I've done this in the pas and it always worked. windows eojld detect and install the driver itself then crossfire would be enabled by default..
To test the issue I uninstalled the drivers. pulled the older card ( bottom one in he picture and then reinstalled the drivers with just the new one. I then shut down, put the old one back in the lower slot and tried again - no difference.

tonight ill verify the bios version of both cards - perhaps rhetorically old one needs a flash.

I still think it won't work though. something about the heatsink being different tells me the pcb is different as well.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Why would the BIOS or PCB matter? I have Crossfired plenty of different AMD cards both reference and non reference without an issue....well, they're AMD drivers so complete functionality is NEVER a sure thing.

Arinoth

Staff member
It definitely sounds more like a driver issue then the cards itself. Try completely uninstalling the drivers and try out 11.9 or 11.10, make sure to uninstall CAP too

G

I have the same Meta, my first dcii is slightly different from the seconds heatsink.
Couple of things to try.
Install with only the bottom card, clean driver install, shutdown, install the top card.
Are you using gpuz, I get zero detection from my idle card without gpuz running.
It was a Pita to get mine running defiantly not just install and go but those 2 thing worked for me for xfire with 2x asus 6970 dcii. And as stated yes different HS, looks to be the same PCB though but that shouldnt matter.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
New & Strange: The older card (currently on "top") is idling @ 43C with a 500/1375mhz clock speed.
The newer one is idling @ 31C with 250/150Mhz...

I honestly still suspect something is going on with the older card... this kind of behavior is not normal.

Arinoth

Staff member
Actually that's normal, at least to me. See you are running eyefinity, that means the card with everything plugged into it never drops into true idle mode, instead it runs in a sort of 2D mode. This isn't the only xfire card set up I've had so i've assumed this is normal as it was with different cards/generations

Latest posts