What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

ASUS 6970 Direct CUII runs terrible, overheats.

KaylaF

I have recently built a new gaming/work machine and I can not get my ASUS 6970 Direct CUII to play nice. I need Canuck help. :canadianwave: 3D mark Vantage scores a 15,000.... I used to get 28,000 on the old machine?!?!?
I took the card off of an older i7-920 / Asus Rampage 2 MOBO w/ 9GB RAM, and am using it in the new machine, an i7 2600k @ 3.8 - Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 MOBO w/ 16GB RAM. I have an OLD GTX260 that is now back on the Old machine and it scores 17,000.:shok: The old machine was a BestBuy bought Essentio desktop. It is now back to factory setup and BLOWS this new machine out of the water. Even opening MS Word or Outlook takes 3 times longer on the new PC.

I am using all the latest chipset drivers and Catalyst version, 12.3, same as other setup did, but it still runs terrible. When under load like a benchmark test or playing Skyrim, the cards fans go crazy and throttle up and down every few seconds, even when the fan speed is set to manual.?!?! The frames lag like hell and are in sequence to the fan speed. Vroooom Vroooom Vrooom. I get around 30fps on Jane Nash. The card works in bursts it seems. It also runs at 103 Celsius according to Catalyst when running Vantage. Other PC temp programs show the same thing, if I put my hand next to the back of the chip it is hot. Just sitting here doing nothing has the card running at 74C. If I put my hand next to the back of the chip, it is warm.

Using Virtu makes a slight increase in performance (17,000 score vs 15,000, but that is the same as the 4 year old GTX260). I have the card installed in the PCIe 16x slot(only one), and the BIOS set to 16x in the PCIe slot. The Intel HD3000 chip is on all the time (for Virtu mainly) but it makes no difference as far as the card is concerned when on, auto or off is selected in BIOS. I have not OC anything obviously as this thing is not stable. Tessellation sucks. Games look like Mario Brothers on Nintendo. I have catalyst set to default and use Application settings where possible. If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated. I have spent 4 full days on this with no solutions. :censored: I have reloaded windows and rebuilt the system over 5 times now, using various recommendations and the result is always the same. Poor performance.

Soultribunal

Staff member
If the card is running that hot on idle, I have a simple suggestion. RMA it.

ASUS warranty support should be fairly good.

-ST

Adzsask

If the card is running that hot on idle, I have a simple suggestion. RMA it.

ASUS warranty support should be fairly good.

-ST

Not totally set on it being the card myself, why would loading MS word take 3 times longer if the GPU was dying.

KaylaF

Thank you for the response,

As for the RMA... I already did that. 5 months ago when I got the card. The first one did the same thing, so I RMAed it. A fairly quick return, so I give ASUS a +1 on that, but no difference as far as a solution. I was at the time loading the ASUS drivers and utilities like the Smart Doctor that came with the card, but I was told by an internet user NOT to load ASUS garbage and just load the Catalyst program from the ATI website like he did. Charm, it worked! HA HA HA! ASUS gets a -1 on that. I ran this card like that for the next 5 months with no problems. Skyrim, CoD MW3, anything I threw at it, no issues. I am a graphic animator and web designer so I use Photoshop, Cinema 4D and After Effects all day long.... a bum graphics card as you could well imagine is not too impressive to say the least. :angry2:
I did on one attempt over the weekend try to load the ASUS disk and drivers/utilities that came with the card in hopes it would be different... no. Same problems as the last time. I had to reformat the drive to clean it of the bugs like I did with the last MOBO and setup. DO NOT load Smart Doctor or ASUS stuff with this ASUS card or you will have MAJOR problems. My ASUS screens go all multicolored and I can not see anything but some computers idea of an acid trip if I do.

It looks like this picture but horizontally across the screens. Any Ideas? I know my head needs scratching.

KaylaF

I have no clue as to why this MOBO acts like this. My Rampage 2 seemed better. I can get in there and mess with that board, the GIGABYTE... not as much. Even on default and preset bios settings it will not make the graphics card stable. I will switch this thing out for a AsRock Z77 Extreme6 me think.

great_big_abyss

You said you have another computer? Install it in that rig and see how it runs. If you have no problems, you know that it's something other than your video card. If your card is fine, my vote would be to check the motherboard next.

LarkStarr

^ beat me to it. The simplest solution is indeed to try the card elsewhere first and see if it performs the same.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Not totally set on it being the card myself, why would loading MS word take 3 times longer if the GPU was dying.

I've seen some strange things from GPU's dying.

But as people have said probably best to try it in another rig, and we were missing the information about the Card having already been replaced which helps point to other problems.

-ST

KaylaF

You said you have another computer? Install it in that rig and see how it runs. If you have no problems, you know that it's something other than your video card. If your card is fine, my vote would be to check the motherboard next.

I took the card off the other system to use in the new one. I know it is stable in the other system (5 months with OC) as long as no ASUS stuff is loaded with it. Only use catalyst. I did the same routine with the new system and nothing but lags and underperformance. I ordered a new MOBO from Tigerdirect. A Z77 chipset. I have an ASUS card, ASUS monitors and the old Rampage 2 MOBO it was stable on after some Voodoo was ASUS so the new MOBO is ASUS as well.
ASUS P8Z77-V PRO Intel 7 Series Motherboard - ATX, Socket H2 (LGA1155), Intel Z77, 2400MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA III (6Gb/s), RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0, WiFi-N, SLI/CrossFireX at TigerDirect.com

We will see what it does. I next day aired it so I will reply back when this is done.
Thanks for the help and suggestions thus far!

New MOBO dance - :bananafunky:

Dzzope

Have had allot of issues personally with dud gigashyte boards, from dead slots to controllers.. Had 3 boards in a row from them with nothing but trouble.. Will never buy another one again..

The repair shop I used to work in saw many RMA's too.. though this was years ago, the impression still lingers.
I gave them a shot with my current GPU and not had a problem. (the retailer I use gives refunds/credit on anything you need to RMA within 6 months so I wasn't gonna be stuck)

Latest posts