What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Asus AiMesh

rjbarker

Hi all Network Geeks.....of which I am not, unfortunately :)

So Im in the middle of upgrading my Shaw Modem as I move to 300Mbps Plan.....figured as Im getting a new Modem I would replace my 7 yr old Asus AC68U (which has been great for my purposes since I got it, anywhere from 50-75 Mbps Plans).

I'm in a 3 story house, 4200 sq ft and no Ethernet Hardwire......I have my present AC68U set up on the 2nd floor at one end of the house (in my Office) and get fairly decent coverage throughout except for lower floor opposite end of the house. I would up adding a cheap Extender plugged in downstairs, which when connected to xxx_Ext works well enough to stream Netflix downstairs.

Anyhow, a lot of research as I move to replace everything, I just ordered the new Asus Zen WiFi AX 6600 and was going to place the main router same place in my Office, then place the Node on the same floor in the middle (about 25 ft away). there is a wall between them.

I also have a RT AX88U, which I was thinking of placing downstairs, although it isnt Tri Band so no dedicated Wireless backhaul, or send it back and use my old AC68U (just no ax, but I dont think I have any clients using WiFi 6 anyhow).
The Zen XT8 units will be WiFi Backhaul on the dedicated 2nd 5Ghz Band.

Anyone here muck about with AiMesh at all....and can provide some feedback.

rjbarker

^^^^ well we'll see....I cant hardwire but from what I have read the Wireless backhaul on the Zen is a dedicated 3rd Band 5 ghz.....guess we'll see....fairly pricey, but i'll give it a whirl ;)

Reviews all seem ok

rjbarker

Just set up my new Asus Zen AX 6600 Mesh System....using the 2nd 5 Ghz channel for Wireless Backhaul...main router middle floor end of house and node on the lower floor middle of the house....very easy to set up...working great so far..300Mbps Plan...pretty much anywhere in my 3 story home Wireless maxing out my Speeds.....once outside around patio areas and Im down to around 220 Mbps....I think things are set up pretty good....Steam downloads around 25-32 MB/sec...

clshades

Yeh I think my router didn't support AP mode without a hardwire. Good to see they've moved it to a wireless option. As i'm no telus now, they have a kit for extending wireless around the house. Works well.