What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

ASUS Bios update with "reduced thermal"

Bond007

Hey everyone,

I have an asus m3a78-em with bios 1502 running a phenom II x3 710. I find it keeps the voltage pretty high for the cpu, though it is within recommended limits (over 1 volt when in idle with Cool n quiet, and 1.4 under load). From what I have read the newer bios (starting with 1805) have a "reduced thermal" that supposedly lowers the voltage to more realistic settings for stock clocks (no overclocking for me yet on this one) and it seems like it should be able to idle at around 0.85volts from what I have been reading. Seems like the high voltage has been a problem on many lower end ASUS boards for a while.

I have built a few computers, but still don't like changing bios versions. Trying to decide if I should update or not.

Has anyone had any experience with these newer asus bios and any change they have had in voltage/ temps??

Thanks in advance for your help

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Sometimes it improves the voltage handling, sometimes worsens it. Same for the temps. I have to update my own EM (see sig) for a 920BE. I'll tell you more this week.

Oversized Rooster

Why bother with the Auto voltage setting and that silly underclocking feature?

Disable to Cool and Quiet crap and then proceed to manually set the voltage to a lower value. Any kind of Auto setting on a low end board is bound to be very "uninformed."

Arinoth

Staff member
Amen to that johnny, my latest bios updated made my overclock no longer stable at its settings and i had to flash my bios back to what it was before.

Bond007

A problem with your suggestions

Why bother with the Auto voltage setting and that silly underclocking feature?

Disable to Cool and Quiet crap and then proceed to manually set the voltage to a lower value. Any kind of Auto setting on a low end board is bound to be very "uninformed."

That's the problem...there is no manual voltage setting on this board. You can increase voltage from the default values by 50, 100, or 150 mV, but you cannot manually set the voltage or decrease it from the auto value. That's the only problem I have faced with the board and the only reason I am considering a bios update.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Lesson to be learned here guys: before jolting down a reply, read the f***ing manual.

There is no CPU voltage adjustment on this board, hence why we STILL need Cool 'n' Quiet enabled.

enaberif

Only update BIOS if you're experiencing problems.

I disagree.

I just recently updated the bios on my motherboard because it finally allowed memory to run at 1066 speeds or else the board would fail posting and go into a endless loop.

Sometimes a bios update can do wonders and other times it can't.

The nice thing is that if you find a bios update doesn't work for you then just reverse the update and go back.

Bond007

Sometimes it improves the voltage handling, sometimes worsens it. Same for the temps. I have to update my own EM (see sig) for a 920BE. I'll tell you more this week.

Look forward to hearing how it goes for you. If you can check voltages and temps before and after the update (that is assuming your board has a bios that lets you run with your current cpu).

My computer is more than fast enough for my current needs at stock settings (atleast until I get the urge to have it faster) and the extra voltage seems like a was of electricity that is just making extra heat in my case.

Latest posts