What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX OC

Nightingale

I can't believe people are giving justification to the GPU manufactures for price gouging on video cards. High end cards were usually always at the $500 mark. Today they go for $850 USD. Every year they become more and more expensive. Sure silicon on low nanometer process is a more expensive endeavor, but not nearly as much as the price hike on thees cards. Ever wonder why Nvidia year after Year makes record profit.

Then you buy a your high end card and after taxes pay close to $1000 and to play what, a bunch of console ports.

Caldezar

Graphics card pricing in Canada is actually related to the current exchange rate. Prices are typically set in USD and then converted. With our weak dollar, that means cards going for $600 USD convert to almost $900. Blame the economy.

maverick_brent

sure do blame the economy..but i sure damn love my strix 980ti. Buying top tier video cards and any top tier computer equipment for that matter is the same as buying a ferrari or maserati....ITS OVERPRICED AND HIGH END. But you dont do it because its what you NEED...Heck im pretty sure at the end of the day my 290x crossfire would beat this single strix....You do it because of opportunity and the enjoyment of having current high end tech....and i am enjoying this card!

Jokester

sure do blame the economy..but i sure damn love my strix 980ti. Buying top tier video cards and any top tier computer equipment for that matter is the same as buying a ferrari or maserati....ITS OVERPRICED AND HIGH END. But you dont do it because its what you NEED...Heck im pretty sure at the end of the day my 290x crossfire would beat this single strix....You do it because of opportunity and the enjoyment of having current high end tech....and i am enjoying this card!
That is pretty much it. No one needs a 980ti. My old 680 was playing most games at 2560x1440 just fine. But having not upgraded since 2011 or so. I didn't mind one bit paying a premium for the highest end product.

ThE_MarD

Heyyo,

Graphics card pricing in Canada is actually related to the current exchange rate. Prices are typically set in USD and then converted. With our weak dollar, that means cards going for $600 USD convert to almost $900. Blame the economy.
Yeah sadly this... We are getting boned hard as consumers! Heck, even Sony jacked the PS4's price in Canada up by $50 back in March... and now they're having their holiday discounted price and I think it worked out to $30 off... so it's still $20 higher than the original release price from two years ago lol.

That is pretty much it. No one needs a 980ti. My old 680 was playing most games at 2560x1440 just fine. But having not upgraded since 2011 or so. I didn't mind one bit paying a premium for the highest end product.
No one needs a GTX 980 Ti true... but hey, if we want it and have the cash? Might as well enjoy it. I do want to step up to 2560x1440 with an adaptive-sync display... I won't just yet though. I'd have to sell off both of my GTX 680's... I have the 2GB VRAM models. They suck meow lol, my VRAM fills up too easily before my GPU usage runs out.

Nightingale

It still does not matter, let's just for the sake of the argument forget our dollar and just focus on the US.
Top tier cards used to sell for $400 USD. They now retail at $650 USD. Why cause Nvidia realized consumers were willing to pay it. The little Titan experiment was utterly disgusting IMHO.
They priced the card at $1000 for 6 Months and then released a minor step down card for $650 USD
This conditioned the droves to snap them up with the notion that they were getting an already massively overpriced titan for a fraction of the cost. History ever since.

Now it's even worse with our weak ass dollar.

Nightingale

Your understanding of history is one of revisionism, or one that simply does not go back far enough.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=9800+gtx+msrp&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=plVOVuH4F8zNeOizgKgH#q=8800+gtx+msrp

Accounting for inflation, cards used to cost MORE.
No it goes much further back, so I guess by your account we use the same argument for HDD's. I mean hey forget the Thailand floods and the fact that HDD's manufactures have keep mechanical drives over inflated in price for well over 2 years(despite the fact they used to be cheaper for the same capacity) cause lest we forget back in 1990 we used to pay and arm and a leg for the them.

Aside from the 8800 Ultra which at it's time was truly a marvel, Top of line cards since then like the GTX480, 580 and 680 were all within the same price bracket until titan came along. Your basically saying that since cards long ago used to be more expensive that if this re occurs it must be justifiable. Sorry but I don't agree with you at all.

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Twitter