What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX OC

Vittra

You stated that cards used to cost $400. I corrected you. That's all that has happened.

Your reply is just inference and assumption to further an argument that is flawed in it's premise.

I remember paying 10 times what we pay for ram today back in the early 90's, but that was then and this is now.
Yes, and now cards are beginning to become more expensive because the market will bear it. Nvidia is interested in moving product, not having it sit on shelves. If they can maximize profit, they will.

FreeKnight

Really the bottom line is; If you don't want to pay for it, don't buy it. Graphics cards aren't a necessity. And High-end graphics cards are exceptionally so. Even past 1080, a mid range card will do solid performance as long as you don't max settings. As for the 'they used to be cheaper'. It doesn't matter. Flip phones and 'buttoned' phones were getting nice and cheap before smartphones became the norm. That doesn't mean we should be paying the same price for a SGSV or an iPhone 6 as a Motorolla Startac or a a Nokia. Different commodities change price in different ways over different times.

Sure a 980 Ti's an expensive card. But it's not like GPU manufacturers just roll some dice and arbitrarily assign a price. Do they profit? Sure, but if you think it's too much, wait, they'll come down.

Now if some people in this thread were trying to make an intelligent critique of this cards price by saying something like 'Given that a Radeon RX XXX costs Y and delivers better performance' or 'Considering in SLI two GTX XXX will perform similarly, VRAM notwithstanding, this card is probably overpriced $100' or something, that could be a reasonable discussion. Not 'Graphics cards shouldn't cost more than what I paid for/back when/etc.' it's about as sensible as saying cokes should still be 15 cents and penny whistles and moonpies, etc, etc.

maverick_brent

Really the bottom line is; If you don't want to pay for it, don't buy it. Graphics cards aren't a necessity. And High-end graphics cards are exceptionally so. Even past 1080, a mid range card will do solid performance as long as you don't max settings. As for the 'they used to be cheaper'. It doesn't matter. Flip phones and 'buttoned' phones were getting nice and cheap before smartphones became the norm. That doesn't mean we should be paying the same price for a SGSV or an iPhone 6 as a Motorolla Startac or a a Nokia. Different commodities change price in different ways over different times.

Sure a 980 Ti's an expensive card. But it's not like GPU manufacturers just roll some dice and arbitrarily assign a price. Do they profit? Sure, but if you think it's too much, wait, they'll come down.

Now if some people in this thread were trying to make an intelligent critique of this cards price by saying something like 'Given that a Radeon RX XXX costs Y and delivers better performance' or 'Considering in SLI two GTX XXX will perform similarly, VRAM notwithstanding, this card is probably overpriced $100' or something, that could be a reasonable discussion. Not 'Graphics cards shouldn't cost more than what I paid for/back when/etc.' it's about as sensible as saying cokes should still be 15 cents and penny whistles and moonpies, etc, etc.

Ferrari, Lamborgini, Bugatti....Rolex, Armani, etc..etc... Thats the discussion

Nightingale

You stated that cards used to cost $400. I corrected you. That's all that has happened.

Your reply is just inference and assumption to further an argument that is flawed in it's premise.
You did no such thing. Prior to the price hike multiple generations consecutively cost around the $400 USD mark, GTX 680 was a little more expensive around $470 USD. This was the price bracket established by both competing companies for quite a while. Instead you are grasping for straws by listing a card that came out in 2006 as your main tackle point. Essentially your are taking what I said to the extreme. All computer hardware a very long time ago costed more money, RAM, HDD, CPU's etc.....It's common sense that when I was referring to the the prices of GPU's I was referring to the last couple of generations, not the whole iteration since the beginning. Be reasonable.

By the way I love your condescending attitude, keep up the good work.

Last edited:

ThE_MarD

Heyyo,

Too true. GPUs are ridiculously more complex compared to ten years ago. Heck, the PS1, PS2 were $200 cheaper than the PS3 at release... but if you look at the leap in graphical and storage capabilities? You can easily see where that price markup was. The PS2 natively did 640x480 resolution! It could upscale to 1920x1080 interlaced (eww interlaced) where-as the PS3 could natively render 1920x1080 progressive scan... albeit most games used a lower resolution and just upscaled or only ran at 30fps... then again if you wanted 1920x1080 at 60fps on those same games? You would have to pay double that price to get double the hardware performance on a PC.

Heck, if you compare the base specs between NVIDIA's top and bottom cards? The GTX 980 Ti has triple (or more) of the specs of the GTX 950 in VRAM, ROPs, shader (cuda) cores, texture mapping units and memory bus. In Canada? The price between for example the Gigabyte Windforce editions scales to 3.8 times the cost difference between the two GPUs. $214.99 Vs $829.99. So there probably is a premium mark up on the GTX 980 Ti, but it isn't that much. Actual performance difference is closer to 2.4 to 2.6 times the average framerate of the GTX 950 in most games.

Vittra

@Nightingale - agreed on the condescension, so lets steer this to something more constructive.

You did no such thing. Prior to the price hike multiple generations consecutively cost around the $400 USD mark, GTX 680 was a little more expensive around $470 USD. This was the price bracket established by both competing companies for quite a while. Instead you are grasping for straws by listing a card that came out in 2006 as your main tackle point. Essentially your are taking what I said to the extreme. All computer hardware a very long time ago costed more money, RAM, HDD, CPU's etc.....It's common sense that when I was referring to the the prices of GPU's I was referring to the last couple of generations, not the whole iteration since the beginning. Be reasonable.

By the way I love your condescending attitude, keep up the good work.
Realistically, we can't use arbitrary cut off points to make a point one way or another.

Indicating pricing was cheaper for a GTX 680 ($500 MSRP) or mentioning the 8800 Ultra ($830) are not single instances that live in a vacuum.

There are two things that must be considered at the very least to have some measure of an accurate accounting.

1) A much larger period of time with which to have sufficient statistical data - I don't think a decade is unreasonable timeframe when we are talking about the tech industry at large

2) The context of each generations release time and what was occurring economically in the world.

Put into context, GPU prices were cheaper during what was widely considered to be a global recession, but more specifically, one that affected the US, which is where north american pricing is dictated.

I said this before and it was not quoted by you - that Nvidia will charge what the market will bear. If a majority of the market feels as you do and they see high end gpu sales figures fall, pricing will fall accordingly.

A Titan at $1000 in current day USD currency is actually equivalent to the Ultra 8800 GTX pricing. Realistically, these are both halo products that have little practical worth or application. What one could surmise based on this is pricing however is that we have returned to a "norm" prior to the recession.

I imagine you are trying to argue that tech prices should continue to fall as they historically have, but there are two reasons I can hypothesize that this would not be the case:

1) As fabrication processes continue to shrink, the cost of manufacturing is actually beginning to outweigh the benefits. Many have stated 14nm as the last node that presents a significant source of benefit in this regard. Looking at the challenges Intel has faced with 14nm and now 10nm, this appears to be a real issue. EUVL may or may not change this.

2) The dependence of pricing continuing to fall is also based on a growing market. With the proliferation of mobile devices, discrete GPUs are not a growing market as they previously were.

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Latest posts

Twitter