What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

ASUS GTX680TOP FPS Wonders

.Head_Shot.

I posted something here earlier that still hasnt shown up. Had links and images.

What do you mean exactly?

Dzzope

Basically, your resolution is so low, the card doesn't need to run any faster.. This will probably apply to the vast majority if not all games and would still apply (though not as much) if you upgraded the monitor/tv to 1920x1080

the 70 fps is probably as high as your cpu will do

70 fps is more than you need especially on the 768 TV..

.Head_Shot.

what about when i run the game on just my 1600x900 resolution monitor and nothing changes, still was only getting 70ish fps and my power % stayed the same. GPU clock speeds only raise to 1228MHz (either my tv or monitor) and my gpu usage never hits higher than 70%. shouldnt that max out no matter what? My old card did.

Dzzope

Nope, you have so much horsepower that it will get where the system can run and that will be as far as it will go..

If you can get your hands on a third monitor or a large res one try that and report back.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Think of it this way: it is up to the CPU to process frames going towards the GPU as the GPU asks for them. If the CPU can't keep up with the draw calls from the GPU, part of the GPU sits at idle since it is not being fed with enough frames to keep it fully occupied.

Your old card on the other hand could not process frames as quickly as your new card, therefore the CPU was able to keep up with it.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
But my CPU Usage is never above 65ish% while playing any games?

it wouldn't be since the game isn't optimized to run across all of its cores. As such, some cores will be fully loaded while others will remain idle.

Dzzope

So i need a more powerful CPU in order to use more of my GPU?

As Sky said, yes (at lower res) but then your getting 70fps and you won't see anything more especially with your current screens.

At higher resolutions, your cpu still has to do the same but the GPU needs to do more. So if you get a higher res screen you should still see the same fame rate but the GPU usage will go up.

This is why I was suggesting trying to use either a higher res screen or use another screen (with the game displayed on all of them) to see what happens for yourself.