What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

ASUS GTX680TOP FPS Wonders

.Head_Shot.

Hey everyone, I recently upgraded my GPU from a EVGA GTX560TI SC to the ASUS GTX680 TOP card, and I was real exited to be getting lot more frames on ultra for BF3, but sadly it performs just as good as my 560 did(without overclocking it myself). It runs the game on ultra with 70ish frames per second just like my 560 did. I looked at the cards power usage in % and it was only running 50-65 % while ingame, and im wondering if my powersupply isnt high enough, or if my motherboard isnt the best one.

Case: Cooler Master Storm Sniper
Fans: 200mm x3 , 120mm x1
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97
CPU: AMD FX-6100 overclocked to 3.9GHz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler
Ram: 4x4gb Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 DIMM
GPU: ASUS GTX680 Direct CU II Top
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 Power Supply

I also plan to put a 140mm fan on the bottom of the case soon.

Could anyone point out why my GPU is only using 65ish% much power

-Thanks

genericllama

according to a quick google search, the "ASUS GTX680 TOP" requires atleast a 550watt power supply. Considering your running with 650watts (which should be enough to also power the other components[at least i think so]), the only reasons i can think of are outdated drivers (MAYBE, but i doubt it) or BF3 being more CPU heavy and therefor getting bottlenecked? Maybe the card wont push any higher due to the base temperature?

.Head_Shot.

well i knew how much wattage it needed to run, i was thinking my fans and 2 HDD's were taking up to much, but i dunno. also my gpu never gets hotter than 50 degrees Celsius running at the default fan speeds. ill try another game, and ill report back, but another thing is im only running 2 monitors ( main is my 32 inch tv, running 1360x768 and my secondary is a 22 inch Samsung monitor running 1600x900 ) . I did a lot of research on this card, and lots of the videos i saw and things i read people were saying the gpu boost should reach past 1300MHz if the card is cool, and thats sorta what im after.. :)

-Thanks

tianfeng

The power supply is fine. A 680 just needs like 38 or 40 amps on the 12volt and a tx 650 has 53. Not sure if battlefield is cpu heavy but that might be a limiting factor. In games like diablo that are coded very well you will see the gpu difference and the cpu wont limit it as much. A 680 should be killing a 560 in every game so there must be something wrong. Post your gpu-z spec so we can make sure it is connected correctly.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Not in this case. You are running into a CPU bottleneck good sir....particularly if you are playing at 1080P.

.Head_Shot.

The power supply is fine. A 680 just needs like 38 or 40 amps on the 12volt and a tx 650 has 53. Not sure if battlefield is cpu heavy but that might be a limiting factor. In games like diablo that are coded very well you will see the gpu difference and the cpu wont limit it as much. A 680 should be killing a 560 in every game so there must be something wrong. Post your gpu-z spec so we can make sure it is connected correctly.
I think this is what you mean
techPowerUp GPU-Z Validation nfwe9
if not than I also have my ASUS GPU-Z
http://scriptingstudio.com/other/asus-gpuz.PNG
Im also re-downloading all my games as ive just re-installed windows when I got the card, and ive pushed Diablo III to the top, so im downloading it now.

Not in this case. You are running into a CPU bottleneck good sir....particularly if you are playing at 1080P.
Im not playing at 1080p, and I've been told that my 6core shouldn't bottleneck my 680

Also to add, I ran test's with Unigine with both my GTX560 TI SC and my GTX680 TOP and these are the results:
Unigine benchmark result
Unigine benchmark result

Last edited:

.Head_Shot.

I think it might also be good to note that my gpu usage never hits higher than about 60-85% and my pts % never goes higher than 80-90%

.Head_Shot.

I think this is what your looking for
Here is another one
I also ran Unigine tests on both cards on tuesday:
Unigine benchmark result
Unigine benchmark result

Im not playing 1080P and I was told that my 6 core shouldnt bottleneck my 680.

.Head_Shot.

Ok this is the 4th time ive tried to post this

I also ran some Unigine tests earlier on Tuesday
Unigine benchmark result
Unigine benchmark result

Im not running 1080p, and I've been told that my 6core shouldnt bottleneck my 680

Latest posts