What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

ASUS motherboard issue?

Vinnce

I have seen my computer crash over and over at random moments for about a year now.

It annoys me to a point I cannot tell and today as it did it 4 times while I was trying to play battlefield I got pissed.

The PC shuts down for a few seconds, 2 or 3, then boot by itself again.
Most of the time everything is fine and I can get back to my usual gaming, no big deal. Other times though the damn thing gets mad and tries booting and then crashes again after a split second, these kind of loop situation, they mostly happens after I formatted the computer or played with my OC in BIOS. It mostly happens while gaming though...

You might want to say it's my OC that's messing things up but I tried running without any overclock and it did the same thing anyway.

I talked with ASUS rma support and learned it is most likely to be my motherboard's fault as the PSU was multimeter tested not so long ago and it showed up to be not so bad. The board is too old to be RMA'd and I guess my only option would be to find another LGA 1366 and try my parts in it, though it isn't exactly easy to find one for sale.

Any idea what's up with it?

PC specs:

Case: Fractal design ARC MIDI
CPU: Core i7-950 quad core, overclocked at 4.2GHz
CPU cooler: Corsair H100 in push/pull configuration with 4 cougar PWM 120mm fans
Motherboard: ASUS p6X58d-e Xtreme design motherboard LGA1366
RAM: 12Gb, 3x Mushkin Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2000MHz @ 1600MHz 7-8-7-21
Hard drive: WD caviar black 500Gb SATA2
Solid state drives: Crucial m4, 64Gb as system drive & 128Gb as game/FRAPS drive
Video card: EVGA Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 690 dual GPU 2x2Gb
Power supply: Antec trupower 1000 Watts 80+bronze
Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2 7.1 Digital headset
Keyboard: Metadot DAS keyboard ultimate S
Mouse: Logitech G500
Mouse pad: Steelseries HD-9

KaptCrunch

sounds you got AC power issues, can borrow a UPS to verify is wall outlet is supplying enough current to computer

P6X58D-E BIOS 0803
Fixed raid hdd size issue

*Note: Update Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver to v10.5.0.1026 to support full HDD capacity.(contained the driver)

other is your ram sticks are in every other slot not 3 in a row

JohnWayne

If you've load tested the PSU, sounds like you probably have a bad cap somewhere. If I had to guess it's probably around the CPU socket. If you can find it, there's repairs that can be done.

stlouis1

have you tested the voltage on the CMOS battery, lots of times what looks like a bad mobo, is something dumb like that, could be that battery dying. I've made it a habbit of always checking those over the last couple years. little thing like that is worth checking before tossing a motherboard

Vinnce

At some point it would reset all the time in an annoying way so I did change the battery then.
It stopped restarting for a very short time then got around doing it again...

I do have UPS but I need to find the cable to use the software that came with it, been a long time since I've checked but it did reset like that before I had one and while I had one too.

I will take pictures of every single capacitors I can see on the board and post them here, tell me what you think of them please, I haven't got a single clue how to figure that out.

Perineum

In the hundreds of systems I've worked on it's statistically well below 1% for it to be the motherboards fault *unless* there is some physical damage. (bad caps, or southbridge blown right off the motherboard, etc)

Even in the case of the motherboard that had the southbridge blown off it was the PSU that caused it. Your motherboard looks to be 100% solid caps. You're not likely to find anything unless one looks literally torn open.

RAM test is the most important. It's quick and easy. Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool Do a couple passes. Does your machine reset during that time?

If RAM is good, and no resets then I'd suspect the PSU. Your PSU is a Quattro? With a 690 do you have it being fed on the same 12v rail or do you have 2 seperate 12v rails feeding it? I suspect it's on one rail and you're tripping the overcurrent protection.

If that tests out then I'd suspect video card. Does it ever reset when sitting at desktop?

If it only does this during games will it reset when running Prime95 or IntelBurnTest?

Vinnce

It has stopped doing it!

I said I would send pictures of my capacitors, so here they are but they look just fine: imgur: the simple image sharer
(use arrows to navigate through them, click on pics to enlarge them)

After rewiring some stuff around, (all my fans off the PSU's main circuit to the second one) I figured I could remove my HDD hotswap bay. I had to use one as all the bay's got removed when I hard-modded my antec 900 case and put it back just for fun when I upgraded.

After removing that guy, not a single crash happened: could this cheap 15$ hotswap bay be short-circuiting and messing up the hole PC all this time?? You tell me! here it is:

http://i.imgur.com/kecxPK8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3B1cGBX.jpg

enaberif

LOL I wouldn't trust something like that in my system. Especially when it costs $15. You have NO IDEA the quality of it and if it could be sending surges, spikes or whatever through your system.

Perineum

Bah, it's not going to send surges or spikes.

...but bend any PCB and you'll make it act pretty odd.

One of my clients carried his Cosmos to his mother's house. When he got it home it was constantly resetting. He was floored when I fixed it in a few minutes by loosening all the screws on the motherboard and tightening them again.

Vinnce

Now that's something else I might want to try, I'll give that a shot whenever it restarts again. Until now I'll just let it be, as long as there's nothing wrong to it no reason to mess things up!

Last edited: