What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Completed Asus OG x79 (DOA)

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Hey all back at build game this one is a oldie but goodie.

1. Asus P9x79 ws/ipmi
2. i7 4960x (stock)
3. 32gb Corsair Dominator Platium 4x8gb 2400mhz
4. Evga 1000w G2 PSU
5. 512gb Samsung 840 Pro (Os)
6. 4 TB WD Black (storage)
7. AMD 390 8gb XFX
8. Case is to be determined got 2 options left.

Attachments

• 20200219_120739.jpg
    20200219_120739.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200219_130114.jpg
    20200219_130114.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 18

lowfat

Staff member
I miss the aesthetics of that generation of boards. Simple but effective heatpipe cooling for PCH + VRMs versus the form over function stuff these days.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
yeah when i opened i up i forgot how silly the ws ceb boards were i love the look and she has come chonk to her, fired it up on test bench, these are oem versions of the original Asus P9x79 WS they added Ipmi port and suprisingly locked ai tweaker in bios with password no one can get , only option is a modded bios that will unlock it and add nvme support. but it will be like finding the white whale/Unicorn

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Quick update this build is DOA these boards seem to be worse than the Ali exspress x79 boards this won't even get past bios. CPU fan error system halts Evey other reboot. The money I get from a refund I'll buy the Ali exspress x79 boards.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
since this is a DOA can the mods delete this thread please don't want to clutter the holiness of this board with projects that aren't living breathing in the wild.

MasterBuilder1983

These boards are an OEM build by ASUS for Ciaratech Servers... this particular one came from an ORION HF210-G2, used for financial stock trading. I was able to locate an ASUS ver1208 bios, get rid of the Orion logo, and with one jumper, and resetting the CMOS, it got rid of the chassis intrusion error. If you reference an ASUS Z9PA-D8 manual for the AUX 2 connector, its above the front header panel, a 20 pin array, literally, ONE jumper will take care of that Chassis intrusion error. Once I am past a few posts, I can provide links and pics to show.

The build I am using for a friends mining rig is the P9X79 WS/IPMI, 4x2GB DDR3, E5-2650 v1 Xeon 8c16t, Deepcool Gammaxx 400s heatpipe, GTX 970 Gaming Twin Frozr, GTX 1060 6GB and GTX 1050ti 4gb, for an entry-to-mining PC.

I've also used the Machinist brand, HuananZhi brand and Jingyue brand X79 boards, and they are not even in the same functional category as this platform. Those often use a B85 or other non-X79 chipset in their boards.

27 years of building PC's and still going strong. Best of luck to all who get this wonderful gem of a motherboard!

Shadowarez

Folding Team
this is one of the few boards i haven't turfed that failed. if you manage to get the link to the bios id love that as i still have the parts and even a cpu i could use in it. i figured with a bios update id be able to get this thing working some how.

MasterBuilder1983

The two boards I bought from a decommissioner, had 3960x in them, and 16gb Corsair Dominator 2133 DDR3. I kept the ram in my Rampage 4 extreme. One of the CPU's would BARELY boot to windows, and then freeze... the other ran the IPDT just fine.

If you google... "asus p9x79 WS/IPMI Bios Files" it should be the 6th post down, from a site named rebyte. Unzip the file, put on a USB stick. You'll need to clear your cmos, then with USB in, boot, and use the in-bios flash tool. No need to rename, or anything. That gets you to version 1208 bios. Note** I had to manually download it, then right click and save as, the downloader they had wasn't sending the file for some reason.

Then, the aux 2 connector, on the row CLOSEST to the white front panel connector(power, reset, speaker, HD/IDE led..) there is one pin, then a gap; you need to put a jumper across the 2 pins right after the gap. Do that before you update the bios, AFTER you have reset the CMOS, and you should have no issues. I have TWO of these working for me, and albeit a 6 hours grind last night to get the first one done, and functional; it does support win10, GTX10xx cards, GTX 9xx cards and I would imagine the 16xx cards as well, the same as my Rampage 4 Extreme.

Last edited:

MasterBuilder1983

Literally, that ONE jumper is the cause for your chassis intrusion problem. The bios only gives you more compatibility and some better bios features. The CPU fan headers are below the CPU as well, there are a pair of them grouped beneath the socket. Just make sure to use CPU1 fan, and you won't have issues, as long as nothing else is wrong with your board.IMG_20210701_163756.jpg

Shadowarez

Folding Team
thank you ill add this to projects list, currently have my shield upgrade (Awaiting a ssd) new itx home nas (awaiting case) and the new one i just completed the ultimate test bench which ill post here soon as i get chance to take some pics its amazing cant wait to share it.

Latest posts