What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Asus P5Q Vista 64 won't install

Derko

Hi Everyone,

I just finished my first complete build:

- Asus P5Q
- Intel e5200
- G. Skill 2x2gb ddr2-1000
- Evga Geforce 9800gt
- Seagate Barracuda 500gb and 640gb 7200.11
- Antec 300
- LG ide DL DVD-RW (new a month ago)
- Xigmatek S1283 hsf
- AC MX-2 thermal paste

So, I spent a couple of hours today putting it all together and got really excited. So I ran upstairs hooked everything up booted it up and popped in the Vista Ultimate 64 dvd and it ran really really slow. So I thought oh well, it seems to still be doing stuff with the install so just let it go. Well no matter what I do I get an 0x8007045D error code after it spends about 15-20 mins at 0% expanding files.

The hard drives are not set up in raid and I have no plan of using them in raid so that's not the issue. I've also tried installing with 1 stick of ram and that didn't make a difference, nor did changing the hard drives from ide mode to ahci mode either. I've also updated the bios to the newest version too (1501).

This is really frustrating. I highly doubt that my Vista disc is bad seeing as I used both this exact disk and drive in my old computer to install it and it worked beautifully and the install went fast and my old system was a Athlon 64 3000+ with 3gb of DDR-400 ram!

So, I was kind of hoping that someone could shed some light on what my problem is and help me get vista to install.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
I've heard about issues regarding the use of IDE drives and Vista. Also, try installing it with a single HDD connected.

Derko

I've heard about issues regarding the use of IDE drives and Vista. Also, try installing it with a single HDD connected.
I was able to install it on the Athlon 64 3000+ with this exact DVD-RW drive. So, I'm not sure if that's the issue. I also have tried installing it with only the 500gb drive connected and still no dice.

Derko

only install with 2gb of ram
As my original post stated, I have already tried installing with only one of the 2gb sticks and it didn't change anything. It was still really slow and I still received the error.

enaberif

As my original post stated, I have already tried installing with only one of the 2gb sticks and it didn't change anything. It was still really slow and I still received the error.
Sorry missed that spot.

Did you properly setup your timings, voltages, and speed in the bios FOR your memory?

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Yup, raise the Vcore and Vram slightly for stability. Even though you're using the same Vista DVD, it's not the same hardware.

Derko

Sorry missed that spot.

Did you properly setup your timings, voltages, and speed in the bios FOR your memory?
I tried to the ram is supposed to be 5-5-5-15 at 1000mhz. I set up those timings but couldn't find anywhere to specify the 1000mhz speed. I also set the voltage at 2.1v for the ram. I can't remember if I tried to install it with those timings and voltages because I couldn't find where to specify the 1000mhz. I'll have to try that when I get home later tonight.

Derko

Yup, raise the Vcore and Vram slightly for stability. Even though you're using the same Vista DVD, it's not the same hardware.
So, I should take the Vcore off of the auto setting and then what should I set it at? Also, the g.skill ram is rated from 2.0-2.1v so what voltage should I set it at after setting up the proper timings and speed?

Also, does anyone know why the install is going so slowly?

I also forgot to mention that the Vista Ultimate 64 dvd includes SP1.

enaberif

I tried to the ram is supposed to be 5-5-5-15 at 1000mhz. I set up those timings but couldn't find anywhere to specify the 1000mhz speed. I also set the voltage at 2.1v for the ram. I can't remember if I tried to install it with those timings and voltages because I couldn't find where to specify the 1000mhz. I'll have to try that when I get home later tonight.
You won't be able to set the 1000mhz for the speed. You'll have to find the "FSB Strap" option and set it to 333 or 400 ; whichever will allow you the 1:1 you need.

You could also just have bad ram so I suggest making a copy of memtest from Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Latest posts

Twitter