What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Asus PG35VQ monitor and Windows 10 64bit, HDR disabled

baka101

Hi

Now I will run down my system specs

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING Motherboard
Kingston HyperX DDR4 4000 C19 2x8GB RAM
Samsung 970 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB
Nvidia GTX 1080 GPU
Intel Core i7-9700K CPU
ASUS PG35VQ Monitor

Ok it all began when my new monitor the Asus PG35VQ would from the start not show the bios (post) during computer startup and display black screen until it reaches windows 10 logon splash screen, this is common as I seen through many forum posts on the internet. It recommended in ASUS BIOS Disable the “CSM Support”. Also disable Fast Boot. Now after that I still had it skip the bios and post from showing. ASUS PG35VQ uses displayport and has hdmi optional now if you use hdmi you get the bios screen no problem or if you connect a dvi monitor you get bios screen, but if you use default displayport it black screen. Now a post suggested using
NVIDIA Graphics Firmware Update Tool for DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 Displays
I updated my Nvidia GTX 1080 GPU with this firmware update, it might of been this not sure that caused HDR OFF to be disabled. What I am referring to is "Windows HD Color" section, Play HDR games and apps toggle switch on and off, it is disabled you toggle to on it automatically goes back to off. Also in the ASUS PG35VQ
On Screen Display information it also mentions HDR OFF.

Any help is welcome.

Thanks

baka101

Worked it out, after speaking to ASUS technical support they said have you tried HDMI cord to see if it allows HDR then it dawned on me. Nvidia Control Panel, change resolution, 3. Apply the following settings. Findled around with Use default color settings and Use NVIDIA color settings, and changed Output color depth from 8 to 10 to 12 while changing the Refresh Rate from 180Hz to 144Hz to 120Hz. Then instantly in Windows HD Color Settings I could turn on Play HDR games and apps, Stream HDR video. Even in the ASUS PG35VQ OSD I could see it says HDR. All still using the Displayport as the main as the HDMI didnt allow 1440p.