What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

ASUS PRIME X399-A Motherboard Review Comment Thread

D

Dark Knight

It's almost like ASUS took their Prime X299-A design and simply modified it for the X399 chipset. I'm curious how similar the X399 Prime-Deluxe would look like to the X299 Prime-Deluxe.

EmptyMellon

Because ASUS listed their X399 boards as EATX I ended up skipping on them and only looked at the ATX ones. Now I see MAC writes that they are only an inch wider...well, I guess it helps to look at the actual board dimensions, but why look it up if they are EATX. My Antec P280 could have easily taken one of those. Then again, so far I am really happy with my Gigabyte X399 Non-gamingnare EX mobo.

Hoping to see some third party "USB 3.1 Type-C front panel header" cables, as I was only able to find two sources so far, which could be mod'ed but I rather not Bubba my case interior.

Last edited:

Lysrin

Just a small question, since I was wondering figured I would ask!

On page 3, and I have noticed this in a lot of the latest motherboard reviews iirc, why did you decide to orient the overall motherboard picture 90 degrees clockwise, looking like it is laying on its side rather than the way it will mount in the majority of cases?

Obviously it isn't a huge deal, I can tilt my head :biggrin: but I would certainly prefer if it were oriented like it is normally installed.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team

On page 3, and I have noticed this in a lot of the latest motherboard reviews iirc, why did you decide to orient the overall motherboard picture 90 degrees clockwise, looking like it is laying on its side rather than the way it will mount in the majority of cases?

Obviously it isn't a huge deal, I can tilt my head :biggrin: but I would certainly prefer if it were oriented like it is normally installed.

Perspective, my friend. Lots of cases mount flat, processor down, or sideways. And now, to REALLY freak you out:

SouthUpMapr.jpg

:bleh:

Lysrin

I fully expected I would get a response to that one and I would have put money on you to be the one Sagath! lol Clearly motherboards can be mounted differently but I would argue that the majority of cases out there these days still have the traditional orientation.

Same as when I see a person's portrait photo and it's oriented 90 degrees clockwise. I can still see them, but the norm is to orient them upright. Perhaps too many years of looking at motherboard pictures with the up and down orientation? Dunno.

Anyway, I was curious if there was some reason for the change in HWC's reviews; page layout, scale, etc. They didn't do it this way in the past. Example: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/71792-gigabyte-x99p-sli-motherboard-review-3.html

But it does look like most of the reviews from 2017 on have had the rotated orientation. Maybe the 90 degrees off is what all the cool kids are doing these days :bleh:

Last edited:

MAC

Associate Review Editor

Hey, it is actually just because I'm trying to minimize the amount of space the image takes on the page :)

Lysrin

Hey, it is actually just because I'm trying to minimize the amount of space the image takes on the page :)

Thanks MAC! I figured it was something like that. I can live with it ;) It was just a curiosity thing. Keep up the great work on the reviews. :thumb:

The Great Gazoo

A TR build seems to be in my future. I have room in my trusty old modded 800D case to put in a EATX motherboard. Looks like it will be an expensive build even with this moderately priced mobo. I had my eye Zenith Extreme though which is about 50% more expensive than the X-399A. It sure is purdy though. :)

EmptyMellon

A TR build seems to be in my future. I have room in my trusty old modded 800D case to put in a EATX motherboard. Looks like it will be an expensive build even with this moderately priced mobo. I had my eye Zenith Extreme though which is about 50% more expensive than the X-399A. It sure is purdy though. :)
As MAC pointed it out in the article, this mobo is not a true EATX as it is only one inch wider, so even an ATX case can take the ASUS TR boards.

Latest posts