What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Asus ROG Strix Z490-E burned out

Croman38

I'll start off with the parts I was using:

- Asus ROG Strix Z490-E wifi

- Intel i5 10600kf

- Corsair Dominator Platinum White 2x8 gb 3600 mhz

- EVGA GTX 1080ti ftw3

- Deepcool Castle 240 rgb v2 AIO

- Gamdias Kratos P1-650w gold

- LinkUp PSU cable extensions

- WD Black SN750 nvme

- NZXT H510i w/ built in fan hub

- NZXT Aer2 rgb fans x2 (120 rear, 140 top)

So I was upgrading my mobo/cpu/ram (previously 4690k, asus prime Z87) along with the additions of the psu cable extensions, nvme ssd, and the 140 nzxt rgb fan. I had just finished installing everything, and the first thing I noticed was that as soon as I plugged in the power cord into the power supply, the ROG led's on the board lit up even before I pressed the power button.

When I did press the power button, the nzxt fans lit up for just a split second before immediately turning off again. The ram led's however, lit up and stayed on. The aio cooler never lit up at all.

Like an idiot though, I tried pressing the power button again maybe around 3 more times, with a few seconds in between each try.

Each time, the same thing would happen with the fans and ram, until finally I saw and smelled smoke coming from somewhere on the board. I immediately turned it off, but I knew it was already probably too late.

Everything looked ok from the front, but as soon as I took off the side panel I saw the short right away. I proceeded to remove everything from the board, double and triple checking everything as I go.

I checked all the headers, fans, and power connections and there were no mistakes. I also checked the cable extensions as I feared that I somehow connected something wrong, but they were all correct.

There were no loose screws or anything like that, and all of the standoffs were properly seated and screwed on.

What could have caused this?

Could it be that I was simply unlucky and got a faulty board? I'm planning to pick up another board (fingers intensely crossed that all my other components are still ok), but I am worried that the same thing might happen again.

I was so excited for this build and spent nearly all weekend installing everything as perfectly as I could, and my heart just absolutely sank when I saw that puff of smoke. I've built around 7 or 8 pc's before including for family and friends, and I've never encountered anything like this. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20210823_214959.jpg
    20210823_214959.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210823_215102.jpg
    20210823_215102.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210823_215141.jpg
    20210823_215141.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 13

Cannon Fodder

I'll start off with the parts I was using:

- Gamdias Kratos P1-650w gold

- LinkUp PSU cable extensions

What could have caused this?

Could it be that I was simply unlucky and got a faulty board? I'm planning to pick up another board (fingers intensely crossed that all my other components are still ok), but I am worried that the same thing might happen again.

Sure, it COULD be a faulty board, OR maybe there was an end of a power connector that was simply placed too close to that section of the board, and it arced, OR I'd also be looking at those two components above..... that's all assuming there was no way it was one of the other items you figured were all correct. :unsure:

Croman38

I definitely didn't have any wires behind that area of the pcb at the back of the case. And as far as the connections for everything else, I double checked everything while consulting the manuals. I'm positive I didn't hook anything up incorrectly.

sswilson

Staff member
Are those areas located under the heatsink on the main side of the board?

Logically... since it appears that more than one spot on the underside of the board shows electrical "burn" damage, that would suggest a short from an external source (like a misplaced washer). Not knowing how those traces would be related to each other, it's also possible that they're shorted within a connector (or internal to a connected device) and/or possibly shorting/arcing on the motherboard's traces.

Unfortunately there's really no way to troubleshoot outside of replacing the board (or risking a different board/system by swapping in components from the failed system). I'd RMA the board and go from there.

Izerous

Folding Team
you say no loose screws but i have seen people leave extra standoffs in place, there wasn't any extras screwed in by accident was there?

Latest posts