What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

ASUS RT-AC66U & PCE-AC66 802.11AC Review Comment Thread

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member

IRQ Conflict

First time I've heard of the AC standard. Cool but costly. You would really have to need a setup like this to justify the cost I suppose. I have learned to prefer my USB WiFi stick compared to a permanently installed card. It's just about as fast as my wired connection for web browsing but my game rig is, and will probably always have a wired LAN connection.

DkRk

Several years ago, I likely would've scoffed at the price and shrugged at the performance. But I've learned that it's worth my time to pay a little more and get something that doesn't drop or can actually send a reliable signal to either side of my home.

This kit appears to do that and more! Colour me interested.

MacJunky

I have had a RT-AC66U since late last year and even though I do not have any other 802.11AC draft hardware yet, the speed and range difference with wifi-n is notable VS a dlink DIR-655 I was previously using. but of course it would be considering the age and brand of the old router. :p
And of course custom firmware is always nice. :)

Totally worth it.

zoob

Been using two of these routers in a media bridge setup for about a year now. The increased throughput is well worth it.

SKYMTL

Staff member
Wired is a royal PITA. You either have need unsightly cables running everywhere, do a lengthy install of CAT5 wiring through your residence or use wonky Powerline kits.

Personally, I'd prefer the AC draft standard.

zoob

Bought a house that was wired with only coax. I used MoCA previously, but its currently available implementation only allows 100mbps throughput with no sight v2 being available anytime soon. Not keen on tearing apart my drywall before the 1 year house warranty is expired either. For reference my cable modem + router are in the basement, with my office being on the 2nd floor.

My ultimate goal is to wire everything up with CAT6 and pick up some Intel X540 10GbE NICs when they are more affordable ;)

SKYMTL

Staff member
My problem is Bell's Fibe Sagenmon modem / wireless router combo is a royal PITA to work with. I tried a few months ago to use a D-Link router with it and....no dice. :(

Soultribunal

Staff member
Wired is a royal PITA. You either have need unsightly cables running everywhere, do a lengthy install of CAT5 wiring through your residence or use wonky Powerline kits.

Personally, I'd prefer the AC draft standard.
Powerline Kits are only wonky if you have more than one major box in the house.
As it stands I would highly doubt that this kit would surpass my houses Gigabit Powerline right now. No wireless signal can reach the top floor computer room. And I did it with full Engenius Kits.

Still, would be interesting to put this too the test in that regard.
Nice Review,

-ST

Twitter