What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Asus Z690 Hero boards catching fire

Bond007

Well, after being told that a board was shipped out at the end of the day.

Here’s hoping…
That’s great, but why did they tell you 4 weeks if they were going to immediately ship? Did you get pushed in the line by complaining?…or they just don’t know what’s going on…

sswilson

Staff member
That’s great, but why did they tell you 4 weeks if they were going to immediately ship? Did you get pushed in the line by complaining?…or they just don’t know what’s going on…

More likely than not, it's this.

Just a guess, but 4 weeks sounds an awful lot like what you'd tell front line CSRs to give out when you really don't have much in the way of accurate info on lead times from the manufacturer.

I suspect he's also relatively high on the "first in line" list anyways as it seemed like he contacted them pretty much the same day as they initiated the RMA response policy, so it's possible that he got serviced from the standard % of "RMA Return" stock they keep on hand for every model. (As opposed to waiting on new stock from the factory.

ZeroFlux

That’s most likely what’s happened, I got mine sent out asap to try and get to the front of the line.

They reached out to me and told me 4 weeks plus, I never complained or made a stink about it.

Know my luck it will be another board with the same issue…

The replacement does have a serial number in the specific range they supplied but it could be a different part number.

Should know by Friday and hopefully it’s a new board since I sent in a new board.

sswilson

Staff member
That’s most likely what’s happened, I got mine sent out asap to try and get to the front of the line.

They reached out to me and told me 4 weeks plus, I never complained or made a stink about it.

Know my luck it will be another board with the same issue…

The replacement does have a serial number in the specific range they supplied but it could be a different part number.

Should know by Friday and hopefully it’s a new board since I sent in a new board.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you to get a new board, but it's also possible that they've got a repair process in place for affected boards and that you'll get one with the cap repaired (if that's even possible with a multi-layer PCB?) or some kind of surface "fix" that overrides the existing incorrect polarity (I dunno.... could they tack another capacitor in parallel with the existing one to bring the resulting cct capacitance back into rated spec? ).

Please keep us updated on this when it comes back.

ZeroFlux

Looks like a new board, all the thermal pads and protective plastic is still on it and the cap is the right way

Now, just have to find time to put it back together

sswilson

Staff member
Looks like a new board, all the thermal pads and protective plastic is still on it and the cap is the right way

Now, just have to find time to put it back together

Good to hear. Did they send you a full retail package or were you told to keep all of the accessories and only ship the motherboard?

ZeroFlux

I was told to only send the MB, it came back with just the mb but the packaging is retail just without all the retail bits.

I’m just happy the board looks new and not a refurb

rjbarker

I have only recieved bnib from Asus....Evga is repaired crap.

Double check the orientation of that problematic capacitor ;)

Latest posts