What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

ATI CATALYST ver. 9.2

Oversized Rooster

This 9.2 is useless. It offers no performance benefit for "normal" games and it also breaks Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

It can't start anymore - it crashes with error 1033. Going back to 9.1 or 8.12 Catalyst drivers fixed everything.

Steer far and clear of this turd (9.2).

cadaveca

Banned
Yeah, I've having some issues with this set as well. I have some 2XX games here, so I was slowly going through them all...

Now i think my approach is wrong...

How do I compare? On a fresh OS install, or on an old one, as most people will be?

bojangles

This 9.2 is useless. It offers no performance benefit for "normal" games and it also breaks Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

It can't start anymore - it crashes with error 1033. Going back to 9.1 or 8.12 Catalyst drivers fixed everything.

Steer far and clear of this turd (9.2).

Did you run a driver cleaning tool in safe mode before installing? Did you go through the registry to see any leftover keys were there? Just because the drivers offered no performance benefit to games doesn't mean they didn't do anything. They fixed a lot of issues that people had, like stability, incompatibilities and other errors not including gaming.

I think we're expecting too much from AMD on these driver releases. The engineers are working insanely hard when they have to release drivers every month. Nvidia, not so much. I could care less about more performance. Go out and buy another card or overclock the one you have if you don't see performance, because you won't get much more performance out of software.

This isn't directed at you Rooster. It's just a common grudge I have against people that expect each driver release to be the one they wanted each month. They can only do so much in a month. It's not just gaming that got hit also. Workstations also rely on these cards, which can affect productivity if the drivers keep crashing.

cadaveca

Banned
I'm seeing many more STABILITY/QUALITY ISSUES than with the previous set. GTA4, and The Witcher, for example, tearing in Flash Video, are three new issues that weren't there before. nVidia is able to get away with more because of the numerous software engineers posting in development houses(which is a good thing, IMHO, if you run an nV card).

AA is not working as well as it used to in GRID(if it works at all)...and I have to change display settings before I get any picture over HDMI in clone mode, although this bug was present in previous drivers as well, with the 4800-series(although 2900XT and 3870 do not have the same issues).

I don't think it's too much to expect applications that worked previously to continue to work...fixing one thing while breaking another is not acceptable in my books.

Jackquelegs

9.2 Still fails with 4870 crossfirex. It won't let me enable it. So I actually had to go down to 8.11 for a working setup.

Exmortis

I have cat 9.2 on my system and A ok Here. Though I have but do nto play witcher, I do however play NWN2 which is is based on and 9.2 has improved things, or it feels like it anyway. I did have some jitter in some locations, now I have none in those said locations. I run it near max settings, with just shadows at mide to high level depending on setting.