What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

ATI Radeon HD 5870 Pictured and Detailed

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
I don't know about these cards and Folding. ATI's stream processor implementation has always been inferior to that of Nvidia's on a one versus one basis which is why they need more to get the job done. I would expect no more than a 80% increase in folding capability over a standard HD 4870 which isn't really saying much considering what Nvidia and Intel both have in the pipeline.
Nvidia, fine since the 300s are coming, but Intel?

Kilauea

Those cards are starting to make me drool, but I've got to wait... Hopefully my 4890 won't get its :censored: kicked too bad by those... but then again I hope it does:doh:

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Can't comment about Intel's plans for the next year. However, I am going to caution ALL of you to hold off on purchasing a card until all the players have shown their hands. I can promise you that ATI will have to drop their pricing faster than you can believe in the month or two following launch.

You can oogle all you want but if you go and spend $300 on a card that quickly drops to $200, at least I can say: "I told you so".

FiXT

Hall of Fame
Larabee!
Was supposed to debut in 2009, but Intel has its hands full I guess.

I can't see them offering anything that would compete with the high end nvidia and ati offerings, but I can certainly see some great mid-range cards and awesome prices and some real power house units, great for offloading tasks to... like say oh... folding :thumb:

mattlef

whoah whoah whoah...

Intel GPU?

And in other words.... you would anticipate massive price drops after launch? seems like a pretty steep prod line life cycle if you ask me... I understand the reasoning with having higher first launch pricing, but damn....

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Nvidia did the same thing with their 200-series which were caught with their pants down when the HD 4000-series launched. Luckily, Nvidia partners offered discounts for early adopters after prices shot through the floor. Do you see ATI's board partners doing the same thing when prices take a tumble soon after launch? I'll give you one guess...

Hint: NO.

Daygard

Latest posts

Twitter