What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Attaching HDD with nylon fishing wire, the ultimate solution?

bliz

What do you think about that guys? Tight fishing wire around hard drives for a screwless silent operation? I don't think that this wire cracks overtime,especially if i do several loops!

honestly,even with rubber i still get an irritating bass noise....................

I think it could work if you mount the HDD in a 5.25 inch bay or vertically in a rack W/O the mounting clips.

SugarJ

Staff member
Fishing line does age and get brittle. Probably not in the time frame that you'd be looking at before you replace your HDD's though.

sswilson

Staff member
I've seen bungee cord used for this, but I'm not sure how well fishing line would hold up to the constant high temps in a case (and in some cases produced by the HDDs themselves).

edit: heh.... ninja'd.

bliz

Hm that's right,i could try to mod something with bungee cord,but yeah,i don't want my hard drive to go crash!

KaptCrunch

What do you think about that guys? Tight fishing wire around hard drives for a screwless silent operation? I don't think that this wire cracks overtime,especially if i do several loops!

honestly,even with rubber i still get an irritating bass noise....................

I think it could work if you mount the HDD in a 5.25 inch bay or vertically in a rack W/O the mounting clips.

use a shoulder screw on drive and drill case mount enough to use a grommet

forget HDD an go SSD

bliz

Yeah ^^ i think that going SSD is the best solution but it's expensive :p probably for later!

bliz

SPCR ? View forum - Silent Storage

First two stickied threads have all your answers.
wow thanks man,the soft foam with hdd on it is genius,I will have to be careful when moving the case around though.

wait,i have an even better idea,attach the hard drive to the floor with string but with a soft foam under it! Should i put the pcb facing up or down into the foam?

I have antistatic foam so it should be okay!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter