What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Automatic repair keep getting stuck and BSOD after

Prolab

Build: Asus X99 Deluxe ii, 5930k, 16 GB G. Skill 3200 Ram, P1 Crucial 500 GB

Finally had a chance to buy a 32 GB Ram kit for my X99 mobo. So I took my old G. Skill kit and installed the new one. It hung and it won't post. Turned it off (long press power button) and turned it back on again. Same thing happens.

So, I took the new kit off and installed my old one.

Finally, it post but now it keeps getting stuck to automatic repair and it BSOD. No big deal, went back to BIOS and load optimized default. Restart computer and it keeps doing the same issue. See windows logo, automatic repair starting and it BSOD again.

So, i tried to use one stick of RAM this time, using the furthest slot on the right from the CPU socket - same issue. So at this point of my troubleshooting, im just using one stick of RAM.

So, redownloaded the newest BIOS (1709), reflashed it, restart, load optimized default and restart again. Same fking issue. Automatic repair starting then BSOD right after.

So, installed the old Intel SSD that i had originally installed (clone this to the newer P1 M.2) and disabled the Crucial P1 from BIOS. SAME issue.

So, created a Windows 10 repair USB, booted from it and i just see a Windows Logo. And the computer turns off.

Went back to the BIOS, and booted the USB from there... Again, I see the Windows Logo and it shuts off.

So while the computer was shut off, I double check my RAM installation. It could be it wasnt seated properly. I took it off and reseated it a handful of times just to be sure.

Turn on the computer, booted it off the Crucial P1... Same problem.

Disabled M.2 slot and booted it off my Intel SSD... And still the same problem.

Im running out of ideas to do. Do you guys have any suggestions?

I have a bad feeling I messed up my RAM slots and this could be a hardware problem 😒😩.

Last edited:

djbrad

You could verify the original and the new ram kit on memtest. If they both pass, then it's a windows driver problem / bug. If the ram reports no error, then try to install any linux distro (ex : ubuntu) to see if the computer shutdown.

JD

Staff member
Since it doesn't look like you've tried, can you install a fresh copy of Windows on that other SSD you have? Could be some weird corruption issue causing it, I recently ran into this on one of mine. Recovery mode would BSOD and restart (similar to what you're saying) and I was able to get recovery to load if I disabled all but 1 CPU core. Super weird, I know. Ended up being that some driver file was corrupted, in my case I just copied the file over from another identically patched machine, but the amount of time and effort that took, it would of just been easier to reinstall Windows.

Prolab

Okay, I took all of your suggestions and did a me test for 4+ hr on one stick that passed. So, moving on forward - I'm just using that stick of RAM to trouble shoot.

I decided to install a fresh copy of Windows 10. Went to download the creative tool from Windows 10 and installed on USB. Same issue as a said before, see a windows logo and then it BSOD.

So, i burned a copy of Win 10 on a DVD blank, took off the DVDRW from my HTPC, installed it on my computer and booted it up. Same issue.

I unplug all of the SSD/HDD's, except the DVD drive and M.2 (for Windows installation), went through the installation process and it did the same thing again. I just see a win logo and it BSOD.

I took a video of what I'm talking about:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jqGUK8aWa7Pxey5H6

This is not looking good so far....

Last edited:

Valkyrie

Didn't someone on here mention GPU driver issues with older AMD cards with the newer Win 10 installs? Can you try an earlier Win 10 rev?

Edit: I thought this type of issue was discussed in another thread a while back. Hopefully someone can verify.

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
That BSOD looks all corrupted too? The text didn't look legible. Might be something up with your GPUs? Can you try without Crossfire? Or as Valkyrie said, try an older Windows 10 build, though this seems too early in the boot process to be driver related.

Prolab

Ah, haven't updated my sig... But I'm running 2x 1080 FE with the current driver from Nvidia.

As of now, they're both under water and the CPU as well.

Prolab

Hmmm....okay, I still suspect it's Win 10 messing with you though. Have you tried stock clocks?

Yup. I reflashed the BIOS a few days ago and loaded up the optimized defaults.

I reseated the GPU blocks, reseated the one stick of RAM, reseated the M.2 SSD. I even switched my PSU from my HTPC, (both EVGA G2/3 series) and still the same issues as the video I posted.

Latest posts