What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Automatic repair keep getting stuck and BSOD after

JD

Staff member
The other thing that gets mentioned in a lot of these threads, swap out the CMOS battery with a fresh one.

Beyond that, have you tried disabling CPU cores and hyperthreading? I know it's not really a solution though, but it could be related to the microcode updates for Spectre/Meltdown/etc.

If that does work, you could try using UBU to update the microcode in the BIOS to the latest. Obviously done at your own risk, but probably not much to lose at this point. Plus you have BIOS flashback.

Prolab

The other thing that gets mentioned in a lot of these threads, swap out the CMOS battery with a fresh one.

Beyond that, have you tried disabling CPU cores and hyperthreading? I know it's not really a solution though, but it could be related to the microcode updates for Spectre/Meltdown/etc.

If that does work, you could try using UBU to update the microcode in the BIOS to the latest. Obviously done at your own risk, but probably not much to lose at this point. Plus you have BIOS flashback.

Replaced the battery, hoping that was the problem... Didnt work.

Disabled hyperthreading in the BIOS, still the same problem. At this point on - im thinking of another X99 mobo and/or move on to a different platform.

Valkyrie

Was wondering if you tried single core enabled, HT disabled? JD might be on to something there. I have an E3 Xeon that was running Win 10 for a while (early build) and the MB it was running in. It's been sitting in a bubble for quite a while. If I get ambitious I may try setting it up with Win 10 again to see what happens.

JD

Staff member
Yeah, I mention the core thing as that's how I sorted out my issues. I had installed the Windows update for the microcode update, which seemed to be fine initially, but then I went further to modifying the BIOS with the latest microcode (newer than the MS patch), and that's when it went south. I could only get it to boot with a single core, had to remove the MS patch and in the process of it all, ended up corrupting a .sys file, so I had to also copy that over from another (mostly identical) PC.

In the end, I should of just did the BIOS mod from the get go like I did on my RVE10. This board didn't have USB flashback and I hate flashing BIOS's from Windows, but it's the only way to circumvent the protection.

Wicked15

Not sure if you have any friends or family near by but maybe put one of your HDD's into their computer and install just windows without installing any drivers or anything yet and then just swap your HDD back to your computer and see if you can get into windows. That would eliminate all of your hardware(as well as your copy of windows) as being the culprit. Then you could at least update drivers and such 1 by 1 again, keep track of what you install and in what order and if for some reason you re-start and get the BSOD again you know which device and driver gave you the issue.

I know it's not entirely JUST about getting windows running, but also finding out why your getting your BSOD.

Prolab

Was wondering if you tried single core enabled, HT disabled? JD might be on to something there. I have an E3 Xeon that was running Win 10 for a while (early build) and the MB it was running in. It's been sitting in a bubble for quite a while. If I get ambitious I may try setting it up with Win 10 again to see what happens.

Yeah, I mention the core thing as that's how I sorted out my issues. I had installed the Windows update for the microcode update, which seemed to be fine initially, but then I went further to modifying the BIOS with the latest microcode (newer than the MS patch), and that's when it went south. I could only get it to boot with a single core, had to remove the MS patch and in the process of it all, ended up corrupting a .sys file, so I had to also copy that over from another (mostly identical) PC.

In the end, I should of just did the BIOS mod from the get go like I did on my RVE10. This board didn't have USB flashback and I hate flashing BIOS's from Windows, but it's the only way to circumvent the protection.

How do you enable single core? Is it in the same menu as HT?

Ive only done a BIOS mode once on a GPU (6950) so im gonna be rusty. Do you guys have a how to you can link up and for me to read?

Thanks

As per the microcode... Is that implemented through Windows? So correct me if I'm wrong, if it is patched through the latest security updates - wouldn't I be able to use my older copy of windows on another SSD (this past Jan, before the newer patches) and boot up?

Not sure if you have any friends or family near by but maybe put one of your HDD's into their computer and install just windows without installing any drivers or anything yet and then just swap your HDD back to your computer and see if you can get into windows. That would eliminate all of your hardware(as well as your copy of windows) as being the culprit.

I do have another older SSD that has the same image as this Win 10. I just cloned (the older SSD) to a new M.2 SSD earlier this Jan. I'll try that eventually.

Im going to see if i can figure out enabling single core first and modify the BIOS first.

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
There's a UBU thread here: https://www.win-raid.com/t154f16-Tool-Guide-News-quot-UEFI-BIOS-Updater-quot-UBU.html. It's pretty straight forward.

But yeah, even a new install of Windows 10 wouldn't have those microcode updates I don't think, so it probably isn't that, but really I don't think there's much harm in trying it at the BIOS level.

I think you're basically at the point of tear down and draining your loop to test GPUs, CPUs, motherboard, etc, and as you said, maybe it's just time to move onto a new platform.

Prolab

There's a UBU thread here: https://www.win-raid.com/t154f16-Tool-Guide-News-quot-UEFI-BIOS-Updater-quot-UBU.html. It's pretty straight forward.

But yeah, even a new install of Windows 10 wouldn't have those microcode updates I don't think, so it probably isn't that, but really I don't think there's much harm in trying it at the BIOS level.

I think you're basically at the point of tear down and draining your loop to test GPUs, CPUs, motherboard, etc, and as you said, maybe it's just time to move onto a new platform.

Thanks JD. I'll do some reading for now.

Valkyrie

Hopefully your BIOS looks something like this...https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/X99-DLX_II/DE166_X99-DELUXE_II_BIOS_Manual_WEB.pdf

Pages 39 to 41.

That will enable you to ensure HT is disabled and set one core active.

Pretty sure microcode updates only happen with BIOS updates, but the newer Windows security updates are likely assuming certain low level behaviour of the CPU. Management engine updates may play a role as well. Not an expert so I stand to be corrected if we do have an expert available...

Edit:.... so about the microcode bit...apparently it is OS alterable...which is alarming. It seems this has been the case for a while now. It's been a long time since I really dug through a CPU data book...other than checking voltage specs and such...

Last edited:

Prolab

Well, i made some progress thanks to you guys.

I manage to disable all the cores, except Core #0 and I was able to install Windows and go through the setup.

However, enabling all cores (without HT) just creates a BSOD issue.

Im gonna try to go to a previous BIOS and see if that helps.

I started reading the link about modifying the BIOS, however it seems daunting. I'm gonna read some more, but most likely I'll just cut my losses and move on.

Latest posts