What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Automatic repair keep getting stuck and BSOD after

JD

Staff member
Hmm interesting, so maybe you are in a similar situation as me, somehow, even though you didn't tinker with anything :bleh:

If you want, PM me a link to your BIOS and I can run through the UBU steps on it and send you back the modified BIOS.

Valkyrie

Check out this link https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4093836/summary-of-intel-microcode-updates

Maybe while running single core you can apply the correct update and all will be well. Don't give up on it just yet.

It would also be interesting to see if enabling single core + HT would act up or not. Hopefully when you tried multi core it didn't corrupt anything. At least it seems you have a path forward and some light at the end of the tunnel. It couldn't be a train coming could it?...:biggrin:

Prolab

Thanks JD for the offer.

Ill try what Valkyrie mentioned and see if I dont have to deal with modifying the BIOS.

If not, ill send you a PM.

Prolab

I manage to have time to play around with the issue.

And i followed Valkyrie's suggestion and enabled HT using a single core. So far no problems. Managed to repair and fix my issues. I enabled the other cores one at a time and i found the culprit. Core #4 when enabled, triggers a BSOD no matter what. So, i turned that off and enabled the other cores with HT. Able to OC, do a stress test on the CPU and no BSOD.

Im going to play some games and do a bit of mining for the next 24 hrs and see where this goes.

With Core #4 triggers a BSOD, does that mean my CPU is finally degrading?

Valkyrie

So core 4 can't be made stable at stock or lower clocks and stock or higher volts?

If so, maybe your CPU is degrading, but as per your sig you have good cooling and fairly mild OC. Were you pushing volts hard to get that OC? It's possible it just had a marginal core that managed to sneak through screening.

I guess at any rate 5 core/10 thread OC'd will get you by for a while and take the pressure off to leap to something new.

sswilson

Staff member
Would it be worthwhile reseating and cleaning the contacts? Doesn't cost you anything even if it's a hail-Mary attempt.

Prolab

So core 4 can't be made stable at stock or lower clocks and stock or higher volts?

If so, maybe your CPU is degrading, but as per your sig you have good cooling and fairly mild OC. Were you pushing volts hard to get that OC? It's possible it just had a marginal core that managed to sneak through screening.

I guess at any rate 5 core/10 thread OC'd will get you by for a while and take the pressure off to leap to something new.

Yah. Even loading up optimized defaults and running stock clocks, Core #4 just triggers BSOD. I even went back to BIOS 1801 and 1702 and i cant enable Core #4 without BSOD.

So for now, im running 1801 with Core #4 disabled.

It gives me time to save up and build my TR4 build and wait for Ryzen 3000 benchmarks to make my decision.

Would it be worthwhile reseating and cleaning the contacts? Doesn't cost you anything even if it's a hail-Mary attempt.

I'll be doing that sometime this summer since its my yearly tear down anyway.

sswilson

Staff member
It's a long shot, but a poor contact could conceivably degrade a critical voltage enough to cause instability.

Valkyrie

The contact thing is certainly worth checking out. Just re-seating the chip causes a slight wiping action that should break the microscopic oxide layer that builds over time. If you're going to go in there you want to make sure the socket pins look like "seas of sameness". A little contact cleaner and or enhancer carefully applied may help too.

If the problem is internal to the chip your stuck with 5/10 of course.

Edit: There have been some workloads that didn't play nice with an odd number of cores (other than 1) over the years, but you have an even number of threads, so even if some of those are still around you should be good. I recall those issues cropping up occasionally on triple core AMD's (3C/3T).

Last edited:

Latest posts