What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Avast CCleaner hacked... again, and NordVPN crypto key stolen

Lysrin

This is more of a security topic perhaps, but don't think we have a specific thread for that?

Thought I would point this out because CCleaner used to be a tool I recommended to people and used when I needed it. This second issues seems to make it risky. In fact I'd be suspect of what is included in a download. My work declared it prohibited software at this point and ordered it removed if installed anywhere. Not worth the risk in their mind it seems.

Avast doesn't plan to end it though, link: https://www.zdnet.com/article/avast...-ccleaner-following-second-hack-in-two-years/

The second one is NordVPN. I've been a NordVPN user so this one I didn't want to see!
Link: https://arstechnica.com/information...o-keys-for-nordvpn-heres-what-we-know-so-far/

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
neither are as bad as they seem though. with Avast, they left the hole to track what the hacker(s) are up to or trying to do.

I have been an avid user of CCleaner since it was released...what? 15 years ago...and continue to be. :)

for NordVPN, they gained access but said it wasn't their lack of security but that of the data centre their server(s) are hosted in. further, what could be accessed wasn't useful. however, I don't see their excuse / rationalization as making them completely guilt free. being their entire well being depends on their clients anonymity, they should have a system in place to ensure their hosts are secure as well.

gingerbee

ya I use both only one that worries me a little is the CCleaner one I really only use the reg cleaner it works so well.

Maybe folks could list alternatives for a reg cleaner here. cause I would love to hear of some that work as good

Latest posts