What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Back to back ssd failure

clg

So, seeing as both SSD's shit the bed about 3 hours apart I don't think this is a storage issue.

First intel drive was making a clicking sound, and only when I tried to play music did I notice the drive was no longer recognized. A few hours later, computer froze up and I was forced to power down manually. Upon trying to restart, I get a window "the current BIOS setting do not full support the boot device.", nor are either drives visible in the BIOS window.

No other signs of symptoms leading up to this. Mobo is about 2 years old now, intel drive was purchased around xmas with the boot drive being 2 years old as well. Thoughts?

Fudd Rucker

PCH might be on its way out? Those things can get bloody hot, thats how my beloved p55 ITX mobo went on me. Similar issues, storage started to go and then after a while it just refused to power on for more than a few seconds.

Sagath

Staff member
Have you tested the drives on another system? I'm wondering if this is a SATA controller shitting the bed rather then bad drives.

Edit: Sniped by Fudd Rucker! :haha:

Arinoth

Staff member
What power supply are you using? I have heard SSDs are a lot less tolerant to voltage ripples then HDDs are. Your Power supply could be killing them.

MARSTG

Disconnect them completely from the system, power and sata cable, and reconnect them again. Are they seen on other systems? If yes, try to check them with the Intel toolbox and do any firmware updates if there are any available.

clg

Attempted to reinstall to no effect. Cmos did nothing as well. Will report back when get another system I can trial them in.

AkG

IF they are dead....replace the PSU at the same time (with a GOOD one) AND put the rig on a voltage stabilizer / power conditioner / UPS. Even something like this OPTI-UPS Home AVR SS2000 Voltage Stabilizer UPS 2000VA 1000W Pure Sine Wave 6 Outlet - AVR-SS2000 will help.

But yes, let them sit on a desk (ie unpluged) for 24hrs then try in a dif rig to see if they are dead or just the mobo is dead. Its odd as usually when they 'click' its onboard components poppin (solder joints, etc etc) and they go poof almost right away...but it is rare to hear it. Its usually the mobo that is audible. ;)

Arinoth

Staff member
Yeah, the only reason I suspect it could be the power supply is that a few years ago where I worked the switched from HDDs to SDDs into the same batch/lot laptops and found that the SDDs were dropping like flies, turned out that batch/lot of laptops had a 5V line that rippled more than the SDDs could handle.