What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Bare Motherboard

enaberif

So anyone have any ideas on a motherboard that will work with a Intel CPU that would if preferabbly not having onboard video, lan, audio and all that other crap?

I'll settle for onboard video but thats it.

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
So anyone have any ideas on a motherboard that will work with a Intel CPU that would if preferabbly not having onboard video, lan, audio and all that other crap?

I'll settle for onboard video but thats it.

I think we will need a little more info like what Socket CPU, Video Card and type of Ram you currently have.;)

M

Misoprostol

I've got a couple of used LGA775 motherboards kicking around. One of which is an Asus P5W DH that I'd let go for pretty cheap b/c it's got condensation proofing on it. Let me know via PM if you want it :)

UNESCO

pretty hard to find a board without a NIC these days isn't it?

enaberif

Don't have one.. lookin to build one. And I'll be going with Intel socket 775 and simply don't want a board with onboard sound, lan, and possible video. USB and firewire is ok.

M

Misoprostol

I don't think you're going to find any board that doesn't have an on-board NIC, and anything but a server board has on-board sound. Like I said though, I've got a couple of kick-butt LGA775 boards kicking around here. Just PM me, and I'll see what I can do for ya :)

enaberif

I don't think you're going to find any board that doesn't have an on-board NIC, and anything but a server board has on-board sound. Like I said though, I've got a couple of kick-butt LGA775 boards kicking around here. Just PM me, and I'll see what I can do for ya :)

Seems Tyan is my best bet. They have boards that has video and nic which is fine I guess but no damn audio! But they only support upto the 1066 fsb and not the 1333 so I'll have to see what happens with that.

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
Seems Tyan is my best bet. They have boards that has video and nic which is fine I guess but no damn audio! But they only support upto the 1066 fsb and not the 1333 so I'll have to see what happens with that.

What's the issue with having onboard components. Wouldn't you just dissable them and install your own?:confused:

M

Misoprostol

I'm very picky and if I'm not gonna use them, then why bother having them?

Reasons to have a desktop board rather than a server or workstation board:
-Less expensive
-Overclockable
-Many more mainstream features (things like eSATA)
-Faster performance
-Uses unbuffered DIMMs (less expensive, higher performance)
-More frequent driver/BIOS updates

Reasons to have a Workstation board
-reliability is a must-have
-Using a non-mainstream operating system

Nowhere in there is "I don't want features on my board". This sort of thinking simply doesn't make sense. If you don't like them, turn them off.

Latest posts