What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

baseboard heating ?????

JD

Staff member
No harm in asking the current owners what their monthly bills look like in the winter? Or perhaps through your agents?

Might not be 100% accurate since Toronto Hydro tells me I use 2x as much electricity as other people in my area, so everyone's usage is different, but at least it would give you a ballpark.

sswilson

Staff member
No harm in asking the current owners what their monthly bills look like in the winter? Or perhaps through your agents?

Might not be 100% accurate since Toronto Hydro tells me I use 2x as much electricity as other people in my area, so everyone's usage is different, but at least it would give you a ballpark.

That's pretty much a standard rider on any offer I've seen here in Atlantic Canada (both NS and NB) over the last 30+ years.

gingerbee

Normally you can do that the problem with the one house we are liking is no one has been in it over the last year, before that it was a hair salon, so doesn't give us any really good data on the cost. but I have looked at the write-up about the property and it doesn't list cost monthly.

I am wondering what SSwilson means about a standard rider, explain more pls and thanks Ie do you mean its standard that they disclose your monthly costs. thanks all, yes I am going to keep thanking everyone we all know its a Canadian thing lol

sswilson

Staff member
Normally you can do that the problem with the one house we are liking is no one has been in it over the last year, before that it was a hair salon, so doesn't give us any really good data on the cost. but I have looked at the write-up about the property and it doesn't list cost monthly.

I am wondering what SSwilson means about a standard rider, explain more pls and thanks Ie do you mean its standard that they disclose your monthly costs. thanks all, yes I am going to keep thanking everyone we all know its a Canadian thing lol

Yeah it's pretty standard to include a statement that requires the seller to disclose known costs (like hydro, water, gas, etc... ) along with a statement WRT a home inspection in your first offer.

gingerbee

ya the home inspection was part of my last house I bought but there was no monthly cost disclosed, it might have been no one was in the house, maybe it is part of it we will see in the next few months.

thanks that info will help

clshades

Ok, just got a bill from Fortis. For 2 months worth of power it was $685.00
Block 1 power usage is 1600 kWh @ $0.116
Block 2 power usage is 3,948 kWh @ $0.141

3 bed home multi level with 2 living rooms. 2 adults and 2 kids.

If we could stay under 1600 kWh every month it would be cheap, this is why I don't fold @ home or mine coin.

Hope this helps.

gingerbee

yes, it does thanks very much it gives me a much better understanding of electric heating cost thanks so much. just want to be clear so in 2 months your family used a total of 5,548 kWh, if you don't mind me asking what is the lowest temps you normally see in winter ??? thanks again very very helpful

On another topic, we found a real estate agent I like a lot and she told me straight, that no one is getting house inspection anymore because people want a fast closing and she told us if we want to buy a house and one of the conditions is a home inspection she says the seller will pass for someone who doesn't have that condition which sucks huge, yes I asked 2 other agents and my friend who was in real estate for many years and they all said the same thing so it seems we get to buy a house without an inspection. not a fan but will live with it

The only thing that will worry me is the roof and foundation that is anything else I can fix or get fixed so this is going to be fun lol
Nothing like buying a home in a crazy hot market thank god we plan on living there for many many years

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Interesting comment by the Realtor. (Full disclosure, I think the entire realtor system is broken/a scam/etc). I hope you trust them, because if they told me that, I'd be finding another realtor. Sounds way too pushy.

Be sure that your insurance company and mortgage company will actually give you services without an inspection. Some wont.

JD

Staff member
Ontario real estate is super hot, literally on fire if you are at all close to a city center of some shape and have decent Internet options. People bid 500k over asking on properties that don't warrant that... so I'm not surprised sellers would pass on conditional offers. I would think you can still get a home inspection, and probably should, but you just can't put it as a condition.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Same thing in this area right now. If it's not an offer with no subjects over asking price, you're not getting the house.

Latest posts