What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Battery issues with a ThinkPad T470s

Lysrin

If they are identical batteires I'd also try swapping them around in different positions while testing the single batteries at a time.

Capactity might have also dropped causing them to report odd charge levels.

Not the same batteries, so can't swap them, but I will see if I can run with only a single one in at a time to see if I get any different results.

I had a client's X1 Carbon 5th Gen with that same issue, would think it was still plugged in when charger removed. Only fix was to do a battery reset every single time. We ended up replacing the motherboard under warranty. Do you have any warranty left on that one?

As I said above, unfortunately just out of warranty. However I did buy it used, so I'm not complaining. Just would like to have a permanent fix if there is one. If not, well...

Cptn Vortex

Not the same batteries, so can't swap them, but I will see if I can run with only a single one in at a time to see if I get any different results.

As I said above, unfortunately just out of warranty. However I did buy it used, so I'm not complaining. Just would like to have a permanent fix if there is one. If not, well...

Ah shoot, sorry I missed that. I dont know what could fix it apart from a new board. I know on the X1, we tried a new battery but it did the same thing, so really the only part left to change was the motherboard, which did solve the problem. I did a quick check and the T470s boards are crazy expensive, recertified is still over $1000CAD. https://encompass.com/item/11097444/Lenovo/01ER314/

Entz

At that price I would just extend the warranty if you can for 1yr and :censored:

Lysrin

Ah shoot, sorry I missed that.

No sorry required! I've been known to skim read a post or two too ;)

Thanks for all the help guys! Really appreciate it. I will try some experimenting with the suggestions when I get time and report back. Still a nice laptop even if I have to take the back of every so often! lol

Lysrin

Realised when posting about researching laptops for my niece that I never followed up on this thread.

After testing it seems that if the laptop gets into the second battery's charge, it won't charge or recognize that it is plugged in until that second battery is completely discharged.

If it running on the second battery Windows reports it is plugged in even when it isn't. If it is running on that second battery and I plug it in, the hardware doesn't recognise it is plugged in, as in the charge light does not light.

If I completely discharge both batteries, then it works as expected; I can completely charge both batteries to 100%.

It's a weird one. And removing and replacing the batteries does seem to rectify the issue, as in I can start charging from wherever the second battery is, but only for that charge cycle. Next time, if I drain down into the second battery, the behaviour will be the same.

There have been occasional times when this behaviour did not occur, and I hoped that perhaps it was fixed in a firmware update or something, but it has so far always returned at some point.

So it isn't hard to work around. I just have pay attention to which battery I am using if I plan to go somewhere that I can't plug in; i.e. if I am in the second battery will it have enough juice to do what I need. If not, I am better off draining completely and recharging.

Lysrin

Definitely related to that second battery. Latest recharge from both batteries empty to full worked fine, but the hardware light indicating plugged in is staying lit even when unplugged and Windows 10 reports that it is plugged in.

My guess is that it will remain that way until perhaps the first battery drains and it starts using the second one? Weird.

Correction: Once I shutdown from Windows, now the light is off, but booting back into Windows still has Windows reporting "plugged in".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter