What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Battling Intel's Dumpster Fire - i5-11600K Review

FreeKnight

*snip*

I, for one will be getting an Alder Lake when it arrives (hopefully) this year. Along with whatever mid-range GPU they offer. But when I build a Primary system, its will be Ryzen for now. This is truly a dumpster fire.

*snip*
Agreed on all points. I probably won't be upgrading since I just got the 5900x and I'm suspecting the prices of DDR5 will be offensive, but if intel has a better product next build I'll jump ship to them.

Though this does have me wondering if the current supply chain will present DDR5 supply issues too. Intel might be able to produce enough chips for demand (or not ie: 9900k) but even if they can, if we have grossly insufficient DDR5 supply it's going to be another series of supply issues damaging the release of a new product, much like with GPUs or 5600x/5900x chips currently

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
@Soultribunal Iunno...if it was really a dumpster fire, nobody would want to buy them and I highly suspect they will be bought. calling it an i9 was stupid, but Intel seems to think not having an i9 product to offer is worse than the product performing worse than the previous generation i9. the price is also ridiculous and that is what I see as likely to hinder sales. the 11900K does trail the 10900K, but not by a huge margin and when you factor in just how close to the 10900K it is and that it has fewer cores / threads, that difference is okay.

what could really hurt Intel is that their supposed flag ship can't beat AMD's mid-level Ryzen product and is absolutely demolished by AMD's flagship Ryzen products.

but no dumpster fire...nothing like what AMD's FX CPU's were, not even close.

Soultribunal

Staff member
@Soultribunal Iunno...if it was really a dumpster fire, nobody would want to buy them and I highly suspect they will be bought. calling it an i9 was stupid, but Intel seems to think not having an i9 product to offer is worse than the product performing worse than the previous generation i9. the price is also ridiculous and that is what I see as likely to hinder sales. the 11900K does trail the 10900K, but not by a huge margin and when you factor in just how close to the 10900K it is and that it has fewer cores / threads, that difference is okay.

what could really hurt Intel is that their supposed flag ship can't beat AMD's mid-level Ryzen product and is absolutely demolished by AMD's flagship Ryzen products.

but no dumpster fire...nothing like what AMD's FX CPU's were, not even close.

We will have to agree to disagree on some points Friendly.
They will only be bought because of Brand Loyalty, and availability (or lack thereof for AMD). As well PCI-e is not nearly as refined as it is with AMD so even beyond Processor Performance, the board level stuff could turn out to be just as much of an issue.

This will be, for a lot of us, a Hard pass.
And if you look at how many brands in the mobile space are focusing on getting AMD units into production and developed, that is just as telling.

The writing, is very much on the wall. You just have to want to accept it and see it as such.

-ST

Marzipan

This will be, for a lot of us, a Hard pass.
And if you look at how many brands in the mobile space are focusing on getting AMD units into production and developed, that is just as telling.

The writing, is very much on the wall. You just have to want to accept it and see it as such.

-ST
agreed on the hard pass, as long as the price is ludicrous for what the CPU is. it's performance isn't a lot different than the 5800X, so if they bring the price in line, it'll be a good CPU.

funny your comment on all the brands trying to get AMD into their mobile products...cause that's literally only a think for consumer products; there is next to nothing for Ryzen notebooks in the business space. yes, there are a few available, but not a lot. of course, a lot of the problem there is just lack of inventory for them to product. I had a ThinkPad E15 AMD Gen 2 on backorder for 3 months. and checking disti inventory levels, literally zero Ryzen based options available.

and then these brands seem to purposefully neuter their Ryzen offerings with stupid things. like take the new Asus CM5500, an AMD based Chromebook vs. the CX5500, the Intel based Chromebook. their specs are almost identical but for the CM5500 having HDMI 1.4 and the Intel HDMI 2.0a. what the heck?

or take the AMD vs Intel E15 and ThinkBook 15's...AMD can't have a second SSD, but Intel can. like whaaat?

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
or take the AMD vs Intel E15 and ThinkBook 15's...AMD can't have a second SSD, but Intel can. like whaaat?
I feel a lot of this is Intel's relationships with ODMs which allows for tighter integration. For example, Ultrabook is Intel's standard for how to design a laptop. I don't believe AMD offers such specifications.

Marzipan

I feel a lot of this is Intel's relationships with ODMs which allows for tighter integration. For example, Ultrabook is Intel's standard for how to design a laptop. I don't believe AMD offers such specifications.
indeed...it's funny / sad that AMD, the older company, knows / does so much less than Intel. it's like they've got Asperger's :p

Soultribunal

Staff member
agreed on the hard pass, as long as the price is ludicrous for what the CPU is. it's performance isn't a lot different than the 5800X, so if they bring the price in line, it'll be a good CPU.

funny your comment on all the brands trying to get AMD into their mobile products...cause that's literally only a think for consumer products; there is next to nothing for Ryzen notebooks in the business space. yes, there are a few available, but not a lot. of course, a lot of the problem there is just lack of inventory for them to product. I had a ThinkPad E15 AMD Gen 2 on backorder for 3 months. and checking disti inventory levels, literally zero Ryzen based options available.

and then these brands seem to purposefully neuter their Ryzen offerings with stupid things. like take the new Asus CM5500, an AMD based Chromebook vs. the CX5500, the Intel based Chromebook. their specs are almost identical but for the CM5500 having HDMI 1.4 and the Intel HDMI 2.0a. what the heck?

They might not have market penetration in the Enterprise sector yet, but rest assured that they will. I think it was really the Partners, not AMD that had poor initial implementation on their product stack.
With Ryzen 3 being so good, and Intel being.....Intel right now, there is going to be a paradigm shift once the Partners all get their products out of development and into production.

All the big players are working on it right now. Dell /Alienware have refreshed G and m15/17 en route with full AMD solutions (Navi 23 in the form of a 66/6700m variations). Omen and Pavilion will go that route as well form HP. Lots of changes, and to be honest, its for the best.
If for nothing else, this failure of Intel's will help build some market equality in product design and development.
That can only benefit us.

-ST

Latest posts