What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Beast has Arisen!

Shadowarez

i turn my computer on after not being able to go near it for like a month and started doing regular checks to make sure everything still worked as the oc would sometimes fail so id tweak the voltages and digi power settings to cure it. well i turned the bugger on screen wouldn't turn on. keyboard wouldn't light up, so i thought well another oc failure or something so.

1.reset bios. to stock.
2.it loaded till post then complained about cpu fan error.
3.turned off the F1 warnings.
4.proceeded to windows to check temps.
5.the H240x still pumping i felt the pump and hoses.
6.checked temps everything was good idling at 32c.
7.soon as i checked system info i noticed 24gb of ram, so i loaded memtest onto USB to see,
8.memtest confirmed only 24gb of ram addressable.
9.took the system apart, cleaned the dimms, and slots.
10.put everything back in reloaded same thing
11.downloaded the 801 bios turned system off. flashed bios, cleared cmos, reloaded bios
12. same thing only 24gb available. contacted ncix for a receipt hoping to god they have a copy since its been 3 years since i bought it, and i have a different credit card since then. created an account with corsair
setup a ticket with the product code for the kit. waiting on word from them but im sure there going to want receipts.

tried everything to reseat everything but get same results so here's hoping ncix comes through, pray they don't wipe out account history after a year.

Turns out the bios was just forgetting settings i hit mem ok! button till board rebooted after putting in a new energizer battery,

set oc to manuel then xmp 2400 mhz it remebered all my settings, cpus running at 4.5 ghz at 1.25v were i used to have it at 1.38 one point, much cooler.

Attachments

Last edited:

SugarJ

Staff member
I doubt they'll be able to pull your invoice. I tried once to get a receipt with them on a motherboard 14 months old and was told they only keep one year's worth. Now I email myself copies for anything over $100.

May be the slots/socket pins for slots are dead. It is easy to check with CPU-Z (see which slot reports empty, and swap DIMM with working one). If you have massive or over-tightened heatsink on CPU - pins may go sideways sometimes.

Shadowarez

cpuz shows slot 1-4 all have dimms installed, and its the latest version. guess ill have to pull 1 by 1 till i find out which one isnt reporting,

Shadowarez

So cpu z shows all 4 dimms does that mean one of the sticks are bad or is the slot still ok confused by the reading as it shows all 4 slots as working.

JD

Staff member
The bootup issues (after the machine has sit for a while) could be PSU related. I had that issue with my RIVE and eventually one day it simply wouldn't turn on at all. Weirdest thing though, I'd usually managed to get it to boot after messing around with a bunch of things (like resetting the CMOS, using the BIOS flashback, etc).

So you may want to consider trying another PSU if you have one handy.

However, depending on your overclock, maybe you've damaged the memory controller in the CPU? Were you running high voltages?

D

Dark Knight

The bootup issues (after the machine has sit for a while) could be PSU related. I had that issue with my RIVE and eventually one day it simply wouldn't turn on at all. Weirdest thing though, I'd usually managed to get it to boot after messing around with a bunch of things (like resetting the CMOS, using the BIOS flashback, etc).
Apparently that's a known issue with Rampage IV Extreme motherboards. There's even workarounds using hair dryers etc... seems they have numerous cold boot issues that differs from motherboard to motherboard in addition to onboard sound issues etc...

@Shadowarez:

What was the result of the memtest86? Did the memory pass or fail? if it's not the memory could possibly be degradation or the motherboard could be degrading or slowly failing (possibly VRM's?) Also as JD mentioned try with another power supply. That was EVGA's first power supply and the ODM/OEM didn't get favorable reviews.

Latest posts

Twitter