What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Beeping through front speakers when GPU is stressed?

frontier204

Hi all,

I think my GPU wants to swear at me :blarg:

Over the weekend, I switched my Folding@Home from v7 Windows SMP and GPU client to VMWare SMP client + v6 GPU client. Note that this is on my main rig, with 2500k @ 4.0 GHz low voltage OC + DP67DE + GTX 550 Ti. About 12 workunits of SMP in, while I was scrolling in a web page with my web browser, my computer made beeping sounds through the speakers (ed. NOT the buzzer) - I have the beeping recorded and attached, but if you don't want to open the attachment the beeps are about 0.07 seconds long, less than 1 second apart, at about an F# or ~440Hz ish tone.

After a lot of that beeping later, my computer's screen went dark, it rebooted, and I got the "Video Error" beep code, this time coming from my motherboard's buzzer. I turned the computer off and was able to restart the computer properly after waiting about ~10 seconds. I dropped my CPU clock to 3.8 GHz and the exact same thing happened (beeps + black screen + invisible blue screen of death + failure to POST).

Now I'm at STOCK speeds with everything, with the BIOS settings reset to defaults (Intel motherboard has no clear CMOS jumper and pulling battery only resets the clock so I just used reset to default from BIOS.) I'm currently running Furmark (no CPU load other than the Furmark process itself) and the bleeping still happens if I scroll on my web browser (Opera or Firefox).
EDIT: At stock speeds the GPU passed Furmark ~9.5 hours.

Any idea on how I should proceed to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

Additional info:
nVidia driver is 285.62 clean-installed a loong time ago
Speakers are plugged into onboard sound card

Attachments

• 01_IMGP0399_crop.zip
    20.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

frontier204

Well I know this card to be quite noisy electrically, but this beeping is louder than any noise I've managed to squeeze out of the card so far. Normally I could only hear the noise through headphones but never speakers.
They don't sell motherboards and / or sound cards with ratings on PSRR and CMRR (power supply and common mode ripple rejection) yet do they?

Latest posts