What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Work in progress BEHEMOTH 3.0

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Yep. It's officially happening. Behemoth is going to get it's maximum possible upgrade.

All blame lies with mr @Entz, him mentioning the Optys made me think to check eBay (which i don't do as often as I used to). And guess what?

4x 6386 SEs for 55$ USD each. $220 USD for 64 cores at 2.8ghz.

So, (re)build log coming. Right here in this thread.

I'm nervous, are you? Haha

Entz

Your welcome lol

I love these old beasts. 55$ is actually not bad. I remember being smitten when 6172s were like $120 USD and those are super weak.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Your welcome lol

I love these old beasts. 55$ is actually not bad. I remember being smitten when 6172s were like $120 USD and those are super weak.
BLAME! But ya 55ea was too good to say no to. The next lowest price I've ever seen for 6386s is... (Checking)... 113$ USD for a single "grade B" server pull (the ones I just bought are all said to be "grade A" and are all pulled from the same working server, it seems).

Soultribunal

Staff member
You are quite frankly the only one crazy enough CM to pull this off (hence your special name here).
Looking forward to seeing it, as they truly are something unique and rare in the DIY space.

-ST

CMetaphor

Quadfather
You are quite frankly the only one crazy enough CM to pull this off (hence your special name here).
Looking forward to seeing it, as they truly are something unique and rare in the DIY space.

-ST
Awwe. Danke for the nice words. Ive always liked my little special title, but today feels like the first time in years that I've earned it. It's time to upgrade my custom 4p system. Excited and scared. But it's long overdue.

Just a shame there's no 4p Eypc boards. But I'd never be able to afford them nowadays anyhow. Long gone are the days where I knew someone at AMD willing to help me get engineering samples. Unless I found someone like that again, I can't see myself spending... What... 3-4k (NOOOOOOPE!) Actually 6k a processor for 64cores per cpu? God damn that thing better be insanely fast!

Anyway. This upgrade will be plenty to satisfy my 4p itch for a while methinks. Thx again for the support!

Entz

Price per core hasn't really gone up that much you just get way more for the money .. Hard pill to swallow though.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Small updates:
1-The 6386s are officially on their way!
2- Doesn't look like I'll be upgrading the cooling for each at all, the Only other heatsink I would trust would be the bigger version of the same noctua heatsinks I'm already using... And it's also discontinued and impossible to find. I'd consider using four AIO 120mm water coolers, but tbh I'd have to find a very special case to fit them and I really serious prefer keeping lots of airflow around those vrms, they're going to get toasty wth the new CPUs.
3- the RGB LED fans to show temperatures -idea may be a go! Going to test Corsair's iCue software soon to determine which temps it can probe. This likely means new case fans soon.
4- The case itself... might have to remain, unfortunately. As you can tell from the thread i made to gather info on other SSI-MEB cases, there isn't a lot of choice out there. A lot of them are discontinued as well, and I'm not hopefully I'll find anything from messaging case makers directly.
4a- if there's absolutely no choice but to continue using my old Stacker 810, then I may consider modding it. The top fan especially, as it's only 80mm and pretty much useless. Wouldn't take a lot to add one or several fans along the top of the case, just have to decide on airflow direction.
5- For those that asked: yes, pre-upgrade benchmarks are coming! I think it was Cinebench that someone wanted to see specifically, but I'm willing to stretch B's legs with several other suggestions if anyone has some. At very least, it'll warm up the thermal paste to make swapping the CPUs easier haha
6- the search for extra ram has pretty much died. I'll likely have to resort to finding a matched lot of whatever-brand ddr3 and cross my fingers. Oh well.
7- oh yes, I'm also going to grab some photos of B currently, both cause I've been asked and also to help clear up some confusion in the SSI-MEB case thread.

That be it for now, stay tuned fellow hardware nutcases!

Bond007

Looking forward to the updates. Out of curiosity, what do you actually use this pc for? Please tell me it’s more than browsing HWC?

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Looking forward to the updates. Out of curiosity, what do you actually use this pc for? Please tell me it’s more than browsing HWC?
It's been my server for gaming from time to time,but normally it's my encoder/recoder. Ripping Blu-rays and getting them down to size with good quality. As well, I'll be adding music record to it in the near future as well. It just monsters everything I throw at it. Only limitation is the old SSDs running in raid0 on the sas controller.

Latest posts

Twitter