What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Bell Home Hub 3000 (fibe) config for advanced network?

sswilson

Staff member
1635463685745.png

Rabbit hole indeed.... :)

Gotta say.... I love the little tab pull for opening the box on the Flex-Minis. :)

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
I thought the same too. Started with the USG, the 8 port switch and a single AC Lite AP. Then changed for the USG-Pro, added a 24 port switch. Now…Screenshot 2021-10-29 172725.jpg

sswilson

Staff member
I didn't think there was a big difference between the USG and the USG-Pro but looking at the specs I see going with the pro allows one to use the security features while still getting 250(ish) throughput as opposed to the 85(ish) they claim for the USG. I see you're also pushing over 1GB on some of your connections which also requires upgrades to the hardware.

I see more like 120 when I enable the security features at "balanced" which honestly for my use case isn't terrible if I thought I wanted/needed the extra monitoring (I don't do any torrents at all). It's kinda neat to leave it running enabled overnight just to check the stats, but I don't feel I need it 24/7.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
The hardware evolution came as a perfect storm over the last 2 years. Started with Bell increasing speeds in my area to 400 Mbps (upgraded to USG-Pro), and wanting to play with the Unifi ecosystem (read rack mount). Then Bell offered Gigabit with the HH3K, from which the Pro evolved into the UDMP. And since early last year with working from home, gf and I, kids (3) home-schooled, all with tablets, cellphones and Team/Zoom meetings at the same time… I must say the network is quite robust. Not a single downtime, great wifi stability (which I prefer over raw speed).

Costly? Sure. Stable? Heck yeah.

Backbone is the US-16-XG (thanks again zoob) which I use as an aggregation switch, while also has UDMP, server and NAS connected at 10Gbps through DAC cables.

sswilson

Staff member
The hardware evolution came as a perfect storm over the last 2 years. Started with Bell increasing speeds in my area to 400 Mbps (upgraded to USG-Pro), and wanting to play with the Unifi ecosystem (read rack mount). Then Bell offered Gigabit with the HH3K, from which the Pro evolved into the UDMP. And since early last year with working from home, gf and I, kids (3) home-schooled, all with tablets, cellphones and Team/Zoom meetings at the same time… I must say the network is quite robust. Not a single downtime, great wifi stability (which I prefer over raw speed).

Costly? Sure. Stable? Heck yeah.

Backbone is the US-16-XG (thanks again zoob) which I use as an aggregation switch, while also has UDMP, server and NAS connected at 10Gbps through DAC cables.

That's probably one of the biggest things there.... lot's of benefit to your internal media network from having the higher bandwidth available through the house.

Here, it's just myself and my better half. We have a lot of TVs, and use streaming services on them, but we don't have a lot of internal traffic going on since we don't have a media server/nas and all of our backup is to the cloud.

sswilson

Staff member
1635692156646.png

That's my current network. Not sure how much impact the "experience" score has on quality of service, but for the most part I'm getting 95%+ on all but a couple of clients and even those are only dipping down to 85% at worst.

Anybody know if the wireless AI is very active? I've got it running every night, but not sure if it changes channels based on what it sees during that (short) period.

Latest posts

Twitter