What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Bell Home Hub 3000 (fibe) config for advanced network?

sswilson

Staff member
I'm pretty sure I did, but I think I was asking too much from the network. I was running it from the router to an 8 port managed switch, then out to a powerline pair and into a second 4 port managed switch which then fed the PVR.

I did manage to get it working, but IIRC it was temperamental and wouldn't recover from a power outage on it's own. I had to power everything up in sequence and I believe there might have also been a requirement to re-initialize the port settings via the software. After mucking about with it for a few days it was just easier to run a long ethernet from the router to the powerline pair (the best matched outlet in the basement for the outlet near the PVR is the far corner of the basement from where the modem is set up :) ) and then from the upstairs powerline adapter direct to the PVR so that I could take the switches completely out of the loop.

Are you doing any wireless STBs through APs?

edit: Thinking back on this, it's also possible that there was something going on with the PVR itself at the time (I think I'm on the second replacement for that piece of kit) and that I reverted back to the single connection when the managed switches didn't improve the issue I was seeing at the time.

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
Powerline might have been the temperamental piece in that mix too, though Bell buffers about 30s.

And no, I wired up my other STB. Seen others use UniFi AP's though, but never tried personally.

sswilson

Staff member
Looks like both packages are out for delivery this morning banana

That begs the question of when CP started using the Scotty factor when calculating expected delivery dates. (Both packages were scheduled a week later)

sswilson

Staff member
Soooo.......

May have most definitely been overthinking this.

The main thing I wanted from the USG/Cloud key was the local controller so I've left the USG in the box for now, but have managed to configure the Cloud Key and both APs (one at either end of the basement) and everything seems to be working as advertised.

That said..... I strongly suspect 2 APs for this size of house is major overkill. :)

sswilson

Staff member
Spent an hour trying to figure out why one of my two wired APs was only showing a 100 MB connection..... ended up being the 5 port managed switch that I blew the dust off of. I suspect I had downgraded most of the ports at one point (this is the switch I was using with my PVR so I wanted to leave max bandwidth for the PVR port by limiting the remaining 3 to 100MB).

sswilson

Staff member
Yep.... downloaded the EOL software for the switch, and lookit that.... ports one and two auto, 3, 4, & 5 set to 100. Crisis averted even before I reached out to the seller to see if there was something I was missing.... ;)

sswilson

Staff member
wall O wires.jpg

Some folks have a server closet, I have (much to the chagrin of my better half) a Wall'O'Wires..... :)

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
@sswilson just curious if you've looked into getting the HH4000?

I'm working a project where a remote community was recently upgraded to 1.5Gb fiber and said community dwellers are finding their internet to not be much better than before due to how lousy the Bell H3300 and companion pods perform.

I asked questions about the HH4000 on the Bell reddit and was told that they do not have a bridge mode. you basically just disable the DMZ and connect it's 10Gb LAN to your preferred router / gateway appliance.

I would be curios to know if you can bypass the HH4000 entirely and plug the Bell fiber directly into your router / gateway appliance. 🧐

sswilson

Staff member
@sswilson just curious if you've looked into getting the HH4000?

I'm working a project where a remote community was recently upgraded to 1.5Gb fiber and said community dwellers are finding their internet to not be much better than before due to how lousy the Bell H3300 and companion pods perform.

I asked questions about the HH4000 on the Bell reddit and was told that they do not have a bridge mode. you basically just disable the DMZ and connect it's 10Gb LAN to your preferred router / gateway appliance.

I would be curios to know if you can bypass the HH4000 entirely and plug the Bell fiber directly into your router / gateway appliance. 🧐

I'm not sure we've got the HH4000 down this way yet. Bell Aliant's hardware and setup isn't always the same as what bell has to offer in TROC. It's a different company / website.

As far as "disable the DMZ and connect" goes.... in theory that's how it should work but by all accounts the "advanced DMZ" is broken on the HH3000.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
I'm not sure we've got the HH4000 down this way yet. Bell Aliant's hardware and setup isn't always the same as what bell has to offer in TROC. It's a different company / website.

As far as "disable the DMZ and connect" goes.... in theory that's how it should work but by all accounts the "advanced DMZ" is broken on the HH3000.
are the HH4000 geographically locked? like, if you were able to get one from their Ontario service area, would it work when you plugged in where you're at?

Latest posts