What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Bell Home Hub 3000 (fibe) config for advanced network?

sswilson

Staff member
So.... after much gnashing of teeth, and two bloody days of pulling my hair out, I think I've finally got the USG set up for my whole internal network.....

Topology.jpg

wall O wires 2.jpg

I wasted most of the day yesterday trying to adopt the USG into my pre-existing (behind the ISP's Router IP range) 2 AP network with little to no success so I took a fit this morning and removed that network from my profile so that I could start fresh with all devices reset to factory settings.

That seemed to be the magic sauce as I had an internal network up and running by lunchtime but I then discovered that I'd either mistyped or forgotten what name/password I'd set for the devices themselves (I could manage the network fine but couldn't get into the root to configure neither the CK nor the USG). The network was working but heaven forbid I needed/wanted to do something silly like set a default IP for the CK.

I tried damn near every possible combination of network names, SSIDs, default item names, with every possible password combination to no avail.

Finally ended up doing a factory reset on the CK and managed to configure a username/password that I know (as well as setting a default IP) and then managed to re-install the backed up network profile. (I don't think it helped that I had a printer hard wired that had assumed the CK's default IP.... :( ).

Sooo.... after all that I think I've got a network I can get into and manage, although I still can't log into the USG and I haven't convinced myself yet that I want to factory reset that and then re-adopt it into the existing network.

Have I even mentioned how much I hate networking...... :)

sswilson

Staff member
Device Authentication SSH username/password from within the console seems to have done the trick for logging into the USG.

All is good in the world..... :)

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Arnt you on gig internet, SSW? I thought a USG could only do about 600mbps?

sswilson

Staff member
I am, and had noticed that my DL speeds seemed a bit low yesterday (IIRC somewhere around 800) on the wired desktop, but I put that off to overhead from the "threat detection/mitigation".

This morning.... speeds seem really low (sub 200) so I'll have another look. (I may end up back to just the APs and Cloud controller)

sswilson

Staff member
Heh.... so that was apparently one of my "smart" switches. swapped everything back to the router and I was seeing the same speeds, power cycled the switch and back to 900+.

Going to sit on this for part of the day before jumping back in. :)

edit: Might have to consider replacing that managed switch.... I don't need the functionality, and it seems unnecessarily tempermental when it comes to automatically adjusting to network changes without an actual power cycle.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member

Well now..... we'll see if that holds up. I dug deeper into the settings on that 5 port switch and found that ports 3,4, and 5 were limited in a different area than the one I had "fixed" the other day. I think I've removed all restrictions on the ports now so we'll see if that holds.

I dropped about 100 Mbps by turning on all of the traffic monitoring and "global threat" settings in the UGS but I'm OK with that amount of overhead.

sswilson

Staff member

Well now..... we'll see if that holds up. I dug deeper into the settings on that 5 port switch and found that ports 3,4, and 5 were limited in a different area than the one I had "fixed" the other day. I think I've removed all restrictions on the ports now so we'll see if that holds.

I dropped about 100 Mbps by turning on all of the traffic monitoring and "global threat" settings in the UGS but I'm OK with that amount of overhead.

Heh... nope... the threat detection/blocking drops my throughput below 200 Mbps. I'm thinking it hadn't quite kicked in on the last test.

Did a full factory reset on that managed switch so we'll give it one more try. (If it drops off again I'm gonna take it out back with an ax.... :) )

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
USG should be able to do pretty close to 940Mbps without any of the IDS/IPS stuff enabled and none of the QoS/Smart Queue enabled either.

Does that switch have any firmware updates available?

sswilson

Staff member
USG should be able to do pretty close to 940Mbps without any of the IDS/IPS stuff enabled and none of the QoS/Smart Queue enabled either.

Does that switch have any firmware updates available?

Yeah, I'm pulling 930 down with the IDS/IPS stuff disabled.

I haven't checked for firmware updates (the control software for it is EOL). I did a factory reset before lunch and it's been going fine for a couple of hours so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Latest posts