What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Benefit of installing W10 with both drives connected?

sswilson

Staff member
Somebody mentioned that some boards set Sata to Drive 0 as default and that windows will often put the boot loader on drive 0 regardless of what drive number you have the OS going to. With that in mind, yeah, it could easily happen with an NVMe drive.

On2wheels

This could explain the headaches I've had over the years, why didn't I ask google the right questions!

Hummm the same issue could happen I think. Unless the bios has an option to disable the drive, the only way is to unscrew it.
I'm wondering about nvme as well, much rather disable it than remove my gpu to access the drive underneath.

JD

Staff member
During the Windows install, when you're on the screen to select disk, if you press Shift+F10, it should bring up the command prompt. From there, if you do "diskpart", then "list disk" (find the disk numbers you want to disable), then "select disk #" and then "offline" that might have a similar effect.

I'd then do a "refresh" on the disk selection screen before continuing on.

Mr. Friendly

if I have two M.2 drives installed on my B550M-A mobo, but leave the second unpartitioned, WIndows won't try to install the system files on it because technically it shouldn't be able to even 'see' it.

it'll be a bother to setup the PC out of case and install Windows and then have to dismantle and install in the case. :p