What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Best 11th gen cpu

crazyea

That Dark Hero and 5900X, $1,300 plus tax. Ugh... Is PCI-E 4.0 back-compatible with a PCI-E 3.0 NVMe drive?

Oops, just dawned on me (again) that this is supposed to be an Intel thread lol

Sign of the times my friend.

I'm pretty sure you can stick and gen3 drive in there without issue.

Gman109

I had ordered and paid for an 11900k a while before they came in, so I figured wtf, why not build it and see how it performed with my specific setup/uses/games. I have a 10900k and recently upped the missus' desktop 5900x to a 5950. Also have an older 9900k system that 's been happily running @5.0 since they week they were released, and never been off for longer than a few minutes to swap out GPUs now and again.

Comparing gaming performance with the 11900k to the other 3 desktops (3090GTX gpus in all), IMO it's nearly pointless to upgrade to ANY cpu/platform beyond the 9900k at this point. There is such a small, small improvement in terms of FPS that it truly is NOT worth the $ or PITA to upgrade IMO. Using DCS/Digital Combat Sim, a very resource hoggy application, both in VR and not (G2 Reverb and Index), the benefits beyond the 9900k is completely unnoticeable. We're talking a couple/few FPS here and there, at most. Even in the typical popular AAA games, the difference is very, very slight, using 144hz+ monitors even with 4k games, it's a pointless endeavor IMO.

For desktop/etc applications, sure, AMD 5950s PC blasts our current Intel units, but for gaming - little point in upgrading until Alder lake or the next gen AMD, for us in terms of the 9900k and 10900k systems. The 11900k has already been traded, while it wasn't a lot "worse" than the 10900k, certainly wasn't any better for the things I use the Intel based systems for (gaming).

rjbarker

^^^^ I hear ya....my 9900K has been flying along 5 - 5.1 Ghz for a couple of years now....one GPU swap...thats it...but my OCD is getting the better of me....a 3080 PCI-E 4.0 Card in a 3.0 platform ;) .....thats the "OCD problem" !!!!

Gman109

Agreed, the 5950x is overall the best current gen CPU. However if gaming is your primary purpose for using a PC, if you already have a 9900k or 10900k, there is little point to upgrading to it unless you're simply bored and want something to do, as the benefits like I said are very, very minimal in terms of gaming. That said, if you use a PC for a pile of other non-gaming tasks, the 5950x is well worth the cost, it truly is something seeing how much faster it performs than our Intel PCs when put to the test in desktop applications.