What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Best laptop for podcasting? I can't "pull the trigger" on one.

Zubi

Good afternoon people,

I have been entertaining the idea of buying a laptop to work on my podcast, this would primarily involve research, scripting, and Audacity for recording.

I have looked at Chromebooks and midrange W10 laptops but I can never find the value because, well, I have my main station PC where I do most of the work and would expect to continue to do so even if I purchase a laptop.

It might sound stupid, but I very often fancy doing the scripting or research elsewhere than my desk. It would also enable me to continue to work when I go back home for holidays.

At first, I looked at cheap Chromebooks since I do most of my work on Google docs, however, it would be a pain to get Audacity to work on one. The overall compromises too never seem to convince me.

I then went on to look for mid-range W10 laptops with the thought of getting something "nice" to use with mediocre specs so is cheap. The Surface Laptop Go got my attention as the trackpads and keyboards on those are great... but the cheapest version is just a marketing move to be able to say "starting at". The mid-range then gets expensive enough for me to question the value I get for my money.

I guess I'm looking for something in the range between 400 to 600 quid, perhaps the second-hand market is my solution but living in the UK makes it hard (well, impossible) to find laptops with the Spanish layout keyboards.

Why did my late 2011 MackBook Pro have to die? :cry:

crazyea

If you like MacBook why not the m1 Air?

edit: maybe price. Not sure what they go for in the uk.

Zubi

If you like MacBook why not the m1 Air?

edit: maybe price. Not sure what they go for in the uk.

I did indeed consider it, they start at 899 British pounds (1.227,84 US dollars).

They do allow you to pay it in installments and you can choose the keyboard's layout, however, for that money I could get one hell of a W10 device too.

Zubi

Amazon Prime Day to the rescue.

I bought it on the Spanish site and I'll be getting my hands on it in a few days (hopefully).

EDIT: Returned for the TN panel, it was an older model.

I got another Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5:

Ryzen 5500U
16GB DDR4
512GB SSD

About 630 quid.

Last edited:

Twitter